Like in many other towns of the former German Democratic Republic, the whole downtown section was under reconstruction at the time of our visit, with many newly opened shops as signs of the recently acquired blessings of capitalism.
Bach sites are not easy to find in this town. Sebastian's brother Johann Christoph was organist at the Michaeliskirche, but only a fragment of its tower has been preserved (with a library at the second floor) at the Michaelisplatz (picture on the left). The church burnt down in 1753, was rebuilt several times, but was finally destroyed by a bombardment at the end of the Second World War (1945). It is at the corner of the Johann Sebastian Bach Strasse (see picture on the right, above), where Johann Christoph's house used to be. The house has disappeared and only a memorial tablet reminds the tourist of the site's glorious role in the history of music.
Apparently, Ohrdruf is not used to tourism at all because it was very hard to find post cards (if you are desperate, the best places to look for cards are bookstores and the like).
Go to the J.S. Bach Home Page