Barbara PlankAssistant professor
Computational Linguistics, CLCG University of Groningen
focuses on cross-domain and cross-language natural language
processing. I am interested in robust language technology, learning
under sample selection bias (domain adaptation, transfer learning),
annotation bias (embracing annotator disagreements in learning) and
generally, semi-supervised and weakly-supervised machine
Recent publications (more)
- Barbara Plank, Anders Søgaard and Yoav Goldberg. Multilingual Part-of-Speech Tagging with Bidirectional Long Short-Term Memory Models and Auxiliary Loss. In ACL (short), 2016. [draft] [arXiv]
- Ben Verhoeven, Walter Daelemans and Barbara Plank. TwiSty: a Multilingual Twitter Stylometry Corpus for Gender and Personality Profiling. To appear in LREC 2016.
- Raffaella Bernardi, Ruket Cakici, Desmond Elliott, Aykut Erdem, Erkut Erdem, Nazli Ikizler-Cinbis, Frank Keller, Adrian Muscat and Barbara Plank. Automatic Description Generation from Images: A Survey of Models, Datasets, and Evaluation Measures. To appear in JAIR. [JAIR]
- Barbara Plank and Dirk Hovy. Personality Traits on Twitter---or---How to Get 1,500 Personality Tests in a Week. In WASSA 2015, EMNLP 2015 workshop. [pdf]
- Barbara Plank, Héctor Martínez Alonso, Željko Agić, Danijela Merkler, Anders Søgaard. Do dependency parsing measures correlate with human judgements? In CoNLL 2015. [pdf]
- EACL 2017 Student research workshop faculty advisor
- ACL 2016 publicity chair Follow @acl2016
- EMNLP 2015 publicity chair
- Program committee for conferences: AAAI 2016; NIPS 2016; ACL 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013; EMNLP 2015, 2014; NAACL 2016; CoNLL 2016, 2015; COLING 2014; IJCNLP 2014; *SEM 2015;
- Program committee for workshops: NAACL SRW 2016; IWPT 2015; SemEval 2015; MWE 2016,2015; LAW 2016; NoDaLiDa 2013, 2015; NLPIT 2016, 2015; IJCAI 2013; CLIN 20;
- Journal reviewer: Information Processing and Management Journal 2013; Journal of Logic and Computation special issue, 2012; IMIX project book chapter 2011; JIS 2016;
- Spring 2016: Language Technology Project, RUG
- Spring 2016: Language Processing 2, UCPH (initial lectures before departure)
- Autumn 2015: Cognitive Science 1, UCPH
- Spring 2015: Language Processing 2, UCPH
- Autumn 2014: Cognitive Science 1, UCPH
- April 2016 - : Assistant Professor, University of Groningen
- Sep 2014-Mar 2016: Assistant Professor, CST, University of Copenhagen
- Aug 2013-Aug 2014: Postdoc, CST, Copenhagen LOWLANDS
- Nov 2011-Jun 2013: Postdoc, DISI, Trento LiMoSiNe project
- 2007-2011: Ph.D., Alfa-informatica, University of Groningen
- MSc European Masters Program in Language and Communication Technologies (EM-LCT). University of Bozen-Bolzano (Italy) and University of Amsterdam (UvA, The Netherlands) (2007).
- BSc, Computer Science, University of Bozen-Bolzano (2005).
Code & Data
- Code and data, teaching material: lowlands@bitbucket
- Group repository (more code and data): coastalcph@github
- My personal repositories (more code and data, utility scripts): bplank@bitbucket and bplank@github
News & Events
- April 2016: ACL short paper accepted on bi-LSTM tagging with auxiliary loss!
- April 2016: I'm EACL 2017 SRW (student research workshop) Faculty Advisor
- March 2016: our LREC 2016 paper on personality and gender profiling on Twitter is ready!
- Jan 2016: I'm ACL 2016 publicity chair
- Jan 2016: LREC paper accepted
- December 2015: Invited talk in Heidelberg
- December 2015: JAIR survey paper accepted
- November 2015: TLT paper accepted
- October 2015: Keynote speaker at Atila 2015, Antwerp; Guest lecture in Gothenburg.
- September 2015: Publicity chair EMNLP 2015, Lisbon
- Juli 2015: WASSA 2015 paper on personality traits accepted
- June 2015: CoNLL paper accepted on correlating dependency parsing measures with human judgements
- April 2015: Two ACL long papers accepted!
- Feb 2015: Two NAACL papers accepted!
- Jan 2015: I'm EMNLP 2015 publicity chair
- Dec 2014: AAAI paper accepted
- Nov 28, 2014: Visiting Uppsala
- November 2014: I love the command line and gave a tiny introduction to it for text processing recently, you can find it here: No black magic: Text processing using the UNIX command line
- Our paper on super-sense tagging received the *SEM best paper award!
- Our Coling tutorial slides on part II: sample selection bias - more on the Lowlands site
- July 2014: EMNLP paper accepted
- May 2014: Our paper "Adapting taggers to Twitter with not-so-distant supervision" is accepted at COLING
- April 2014: Our paper on "What's in a p-value in NLP" is accepted at CoNLL 2014, two Lowlands papers accepted at ACL 2014 short, and one ACL workshop paper (WAASA 2014)
- Paper on Opinion Mining on YouTube to appear at ACL 2014
- Our EACL 2014 paper received the best long paper award!
- Jan 2014: Four accepted LREC papers by people from Lowlands
- December 20, 2013: Lowlands EACL 2014 paper accepted on Learning POS taggers with inter-annotator agreement loss
- December 12, 2013: Going to Gothenburg to give a talk on tagging Twitter, CLT Seminar series
- Attending PhD defense and Workshop in Groningen, April 2013
- Splet 2012 Shared task: Dependency Parsing of Legal Texts
- December 8, 2011: My PhD thesis defense in Groningen.
- Going to ACL 2011 in Portland, Orlando -- Second paper with Daniel de Kok and Gertjan van Noord got accepted!
- Autumn 2010: List of genre-annotated WSJ files (updated) (cf. Webber, 2009: "Genre distinctions for discourse in the Penn Treebank")
- July 2010: We organized an ACL 2010 workshop on Domain Adaptation for NLP (DANLP)
- June 19, 2009: Khalil Sima'an in Groningen, CLCG colloqium
- January 12-16, 2009 at RUG: MaxEnt tutorial by Rob Malouf
- The 19th edition of CLIN (Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands) will be held in Groningen on Thursday, January 22, 2009, in conjunction with the 7th edition of TLT
- International Workshop TLT 7 (Treebank and Linguistic Theories), Groningen January 23 and 24, 2009.
- May 15, 2008: LCT PhD student's day in Bozen-Bolzano, Italy
b <mylastname> (at) gmail (dot) com
b (dot) mylastname (at) rug (dot) nl
University of Groningen
Tel. +31 (0)50 303 4921