1993 Football League First Division play-off Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1993 Football League First Division play-off Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view).jpg
Date31 May 1993
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeDavid Elleray (Harrow)

The 1993 Football League First Division play-off Final was contested by Swindon Town and Leicester City at Wembley Stadium, London. Swindon Town won the match 4–3, despite Leicester coming back from 3–0 down.

Eurosport placed the game at #94 on its list of the 100 Greatest football matches of all-time.[1]


After a fairly quiet first half, Swindon Town led 1–0 thanks to a goal from player/manager Glenn Hoddle 3 minutes before the break. The match then took off with an exciting second half, just 2 minutes after the restart Craig Maskell put Swindon 2–0 to the good after he finished off a pass from John Moncur, then a header by Shaun Taylor gave Swindon a three-goal advantage six minutes later. At 3–0 Swindon should have been comfortable, but 4 minutes later Julian Joachim pulled one back for Leicester to give them hope. It got better for Leicester as 11 minutes later Steve Walsh scored a header to make it 3–2, and just a minute after that Steve Thompson equalised wrapping up an astonishing come-back by Leicester, scoring 3 goals in 12 minutes. However, it turned out to be in vain, when Swindon were awarded a contentious penalty 6 minutes from time after Kevin Poole was alleged to have brought down Steve White in the area. Paul Bodin converted the penalty to finish the game at 4–3 and sent Swindon to the Premier League, while Leicester were left to rue a second year of misery, having lost in the play-off final thanks to controversial penalty for the second year running.[2]

Match details[edit]

Leicester City3 – 4Swindon Town
Joachim Goal 57'
Walsh Goal 68'
Thompson Goal 69'
Report Hoddle Goal 42'
Maskell Goal 47'
Taylor Goal 53'
Bodin Goal 84' (pen.)
Attendance: 73,802
GK 1 England Kevin Poole
RB 2 England Gary Mills (c)
LB 3 England Mike Whitlow
CB 4 England Richard Smith
FW 5 England Steve Walsh Yellow card
CB 6 Northern Ireland Colin Hill
RM 7 England David Oldfield
CM 8 England Steve Thompson
FW 9 England Julian Joachim
CM 10 England Steve Agnew
LM 11 England Lee Philpott
FW 12 England Ian Ormondroyd
MF 14 England Colin Gibson
England Brian Little
GK 1 England Fraser Digby
RB 2 England Nicky Summerbee
LB 3 Wales Paul Bodin
CM 4 England Glenn Hoddle Yellow card
CB 5 Scotland Colin Calderwood (c)
CB 6 England Shaun Taylor
CM 7 England John Moncur Substituted off 88'
LM 8 Scotland Ross MacLaren
FW 9 Australia David Mitchell
RM 10 England Martin Ling
FW 11 England Craig Maskell Substituted off 78'
FW 12 England Steve White Substituted in 78'
MF 14 England Micky Hazard Substituted in 88'
England Glenn Hoddle


  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Penalty shootout if scores still level.
  • Two named substitutes.
  • Maximum of two substitutions.

Road to Wembley[edit]

Swindon Town[edit]

First Leg Swindon Town 3–1 Tranmere Rovers
Second Leg Tranmere Rovers 3–2 Swindon Town

Leicester City[edit]

First Leg[3] Leicester City 1–0 Portsmouth
Second Leg Portsmouth 2–2 Leicester City


  1. ^ EuroSport - Top 100: the complete list
  2. ^ Haylett, Trevor (1 June 1993). "The Independent - Football / Play Off: Swindon lifted by Hoddle's husbandry: An unsettling sense of deja vu as Wembley proves an unhappy hunting ground for Leicester". London. Archived from the original on 9 September 2009. Retrieved 7 September 2009.
  3. ^ Played at the City Ground, Nottingham