Alyssa Cole (born August 12, 1982) is an American author of historical, science fiction, and contemporary romance novels. Her stories include diverse casts of characters with a variety of professions, from Civil War spies to modern day epidemiologists. Her romance works explore both heterosexual and homosexual relationships.
Alyssa Cole began her writing career by publishing collections of short stories and novellas. Her stories tend to take place during important events in American history, including the Civil Rights movement, the Revolutionary War, and the Harlem Renaissance.
Cole's Loyal League novels, a trilogy taking place with the backdrop of the American Civil War, is represented by Kensington Publishing Corporation. Her Reluctant Royals novels, a contemporary romance series inspired by modern day royalty, is represented by Avon Romance.
Alyssa Cole has collaborated with other authors on anthologies. These authors include Rose Learner, Courtney Milan,
Lena Hart, Kianna Alexander, Piper Huguley, and Kate McMurray.
At times, Cole has taken part in the month-long challenge of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) to encourage her writing habits and finish longer works.
Cole is a prominent figure in the effort to increase the representation of black authors in the romance publishing industry. Her discussion for the need for diversity in the genre has occurred in panels and largely on Twitter.
Cole often has political and activist elements in her books. One of her historical novel series takes place during the Civil War and contains heroines and heroes who are involved in important political events in American history. Another historical series, set in the American 1960's, sees Cole's characters in the middle of the Civil Rights movement. Her contemporary novel, A Princess in Theory, contains a hero who is a prince of a small, fictional African country that deals with advances and issues modeled after real life nations of similar size and geography.
|Sweet to the Taste||2014||B00IJYGP76|
|For Love & Liberty: Untold love stories of the American Revolution||2014||9781941885017|
|Radio Silence||Off the Grid #1||2015||9781539664666|
|Signal Boost||Off the Grid #2||2015||9781539694663|
|Mixed Signals||Off the Grid #3||2015||9781539712565|
|The Brightest Day: A Juneteenth Historical Romance Anthology||2015||9781519616470|
|Be Not Afraid||2016||9781530675029|
|Let it Shine||2016||9781530758067|
|Agnes Moor's Wild Knight||2016||9781530771561|
|Daughters of a Nation: A Black Suffragette Historical Romance Anthology||2016||9781941885345|
|Let Us Dream||2017||9781544766195|
|An Extraordinary Union||The Loyal League #1||2017||9781496707444|
|Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances||2017||9781977530691|
|A Hope Divided||The Loyal League #2||2017||9781496707468|
|A Princess in Theory||Reluctant Royals #1||2018||9780062685544|
|A Duke by Default||Reluctant Royals #2||2018||9780062685568|
|Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition||2018||9781534310247|
|Once Ghosted, Twice Shy||Reluctant Royals #2.5||2019||9780062931870|
|An Unconditional Freedom||The Loyal League #3||2019||9781496707482|
|Can't Escape Love||Reluctant Royals #2.6||2019||9781982649012|
|A Prince on Paper||Reluctant Royals #3||2019||9780062685582|
- 2018 - An Extraordinary Union - American Library Association RUSA Best Romance
- 2017 - An Extraordinary Union - Vulture's 10 Best Romance Books of 2017
- 2017 - An Extraordinary Union - Booklist Top 10 Romances 2017
- 2017 - An Extraordinary Union - Publishers Weekly Best Books of 2017, Romance
- James, Kendra (2017-11-27). "Alyssa Cole On the Magic of Writing Romance". Shondaland. Retrieved 2019-01-29.
- Murphy, Mary Jo (2018-02-02). "Love Notes". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-01-29.
- Rodale, Maya (November 9, 2017). "For November, A Romance Trio For 'Hamilton' Fans (And The Rest Of You, Too)". NPR. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- Woolverton, Paul (July 13, 2015). "Authors to discuss history of Juneteenth at Museum of the Cape Fear". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Walker, Savanna (April 1, 2017). "An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole - Interview | BookPage". BookPage.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Faires, Rosalind (October 29, 2018). "Texas Book Festival 2018: Real Romance: Alyssa Cole and Jasmine Guillory". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Alexander, Corey (July 16, 2018). "Interview with Alyssa Cole". Corey's Book Corner. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Adewunmi, Bim (May 1, 2018). "Meet The Black Women Upending The Romance Novel Industry". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Alyssa Cole". Avon Romance. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "For Love and Liberty, by Alyssa Cole, Kate McMurray, Lena Hart, and Stacey Agdern". Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Popular romance novelist Alyssa Cole to speak at Literary Tastes". RUSA Update. April 23, 2018. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- Green, Jaime (December 21, 2017). "The 10 Best Romance Books of 2017". Vulture. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- Seaman, Donna (September 15, 2017). "Top 10 Romance Fiction". Booklist Online. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Publishers Weekly Best Books of 2017". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "100 Notable Books of 2018". The New York Times. 2018. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Beckett, Lois (April 4, 2019). "Fifty shades of white: the long fight against racism in romance novels". The Guardian. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Green, Jaime (February 27, 2018). "Alyssa Cole on Why Her Romance Novels Are Always Political". Vulture. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Dev, Sonali (August 17, 2016). "For The 'Oscars Of Romance,' Representation Matters". NPR. Retrieved March 1, 2019.