Sue Parker (m. 1975)
Goodman has had an extensive acting career that includes a wide range of roles in theatre, on television and radio. He has won numerous awards for his theatre work.
Goodman appeared on Broadway in three shows. He briefly replaced Nathan Lane in The Producers in 2002, but was fired after one month due to creative differences with Mel Brooks. The following year he returned to Broadway in Tartuffe.
In 2015 he played the title role in Ben Jonson's Jacobean comedy Volpone at the Royal Shakespeare Company, directed by Trevor Nunn co-starring Matthew Kelly and Miles Richardson. His previous RSC appearance was in 2003 as Richard III.
In 2017 he played Lucian Freud in Looking at Lucian, written by Alan Franks, at the Ustinov Studio at Theatre Royal, Bath. Of this part, he said "I share an intense hunger to want theatre to be as meaningful as he wanted painting to be."
He portrayed a HYDRA doctor in the 2014 film Captain America: The Winter Soldier, though he was uncredited in the credits. He played the character again, now named Dr. List, on the second season of the TV show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and in the 2015 film Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Goodman is also a respected radio actor. He portrayed Leopold Bloom in BBC Radio 4's all-day adaptation of James Joyce's Ulysses for 'Bloomsday' in 2012. He has also played author and chemist Primo Levi and a large number of other, often Jewish, characters on Radio 4.
Awards and reputation
His awards include the Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical playing Charles Guiteau in Assassins at the Donmar Warehouse directed by Sam Mendes in 1993, and the Olivier Award for Best Actor for Shylock in The Merchant of Venice at the National Theatre directed by Trevor Nunn in 2000. He has also been nominated for an Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical in 1998 for Chicago, London Critics Circle Theatre Award for Best Actor (The Merchant of Venice), and Theatre Awards UK for Best Performance in a Play in 2012 (The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui).
This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The Golden Bowl
- This is David Lander
- London's Burning
- Three Up, Two Down
- Gentlemen and Players
- Rules of Engagement
- After the War
- Act of Will
- Capital City
- Screen Two
- El C.I.D.
- The Bill
- The Gravy Train Goes East (1991)
- Performance, BBC — Measure for Measure, 1994
- Smith & Jones
- Cold Lazarus (1996)
- American Voices
- Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes
- Masterpiece Theatre — Broken Glass, TV film, 1996
- Dalziel and Pascoe
- Spooks, (2002, "The Lesser of Two Evils")
- Foyle's War (2003)
- Keen Eddie, (2004, Rabbi Mendelssohn, "Who Wants to Be in a Club That Would Have Me as a Member?", Episode 11)
- M.I.T.: Murder Investigation Team
- Murder in Suburbia , "The Wedding", Series 2 - Episode 3
- Mumbai Calling, (2007, Pilot)
- Yes, Prime Minister, (2010) 6 episodes
- Midsomer Murders , (2013)
- New Tricks, (2013, "Cry Me a River", Series 10, Episode 5)
- Playhouse Presents , Nixon's the One, (2014)
- Penny Dreadful, (2014, "Grand Guignol")
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – Dr. List
- Snatch - Saul Gold
- Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story
- Secret Weapon
- Son of the Pink Panther
- Degas and Pissarro Fall Out
- Mary Reilly
- Private Parts
- The Saint
- Notting Hill
- Arabian Nights
- Dirty Tricks
- The Final Curtain
- Hamilton Mattress
- The Mayor of Casterbridge
- The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
- Churchill: The Hollywood Years
- Green Street
- Shakespeare's Happy Endings
- Colour Me Kubrick: A True...Ish Story
- Out on a Limb 
- The Damned United
- Taking Woodstock
- The Last Days of Lehman Brothers
- The Road to Coronation Street
- The Half-Light
- The Challenger
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Dr. List
- Woman in Gold
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Dr. List
- De Surprise
- Love is Thicker Than Water
- El Elegido
- Their Finest (2016)
- The Limehouse Golem (2016)
- "Henry Goodman".
- "Henry damned happy to take role of man who fired legend Brian Clough" Jewish Telegraph. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- "Henry Goodman interview". www.somethingjewish.co.uk.
- "Alumni". Central Foundation Boys' School. 2013. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Telegraph, Alex Harris firstname.lastname@example.org - Jewish. "A Jewish Telegraph Newspaper". www.jewishtelegraph.com.
- "Home - Gold". uktv.co.uk.
- "Stage plan for Yes Prime Minister". BBC News. 18 February 2010.
- "CFT.Org.UK". Archived from the original on 12 March 2010.
- "Chicester Minister Bound for Gielgud, 17 September". Whats On Stage website. 11 June 2010. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Cavendish, Dominic (12 July 2012). "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, Minerva Studio, Chichester, review". Telegraph.
- "Interview with Henry Goodman". The Telegraph.
- Billington, Michael. " 'Volpone' review – Henry Goodman creates a magnetic monster" The Guardian, 10 July 2015
- Billington, Michael. "Review. 'Richard III' " The Guardian, 24 July 2003
- Franks, Alan. "Lucian Freud and me: making a drama out of a painter".
- Michael Billington (11 August 2017). "Looking at Lucian review – mesmerising portrait of the artist as an old man". The Guardian.
- "HENRY GOODMAN". StageTalk Magazine.
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". IMDB. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Collinson, Gary (26 April 2015). "Two new clips from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron". Flickering Myth. Archived from the original on 26 April 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Gibbons, Fiachra. "James Joyce's 'Ulysses' on BBC Radio 4 – review" The Guardian, 17 June 2012
- "Warning: This Book May Change Your Life!" bbc.co.uk, retrieved 20 November 2017
- "Olivier Award, 1993" olivierawards.com, retrieved 10 November 2017
- "Olivier Awards 2000" olivierawards.com, retrieved 20 November 2017
- "Olivier Awards, 1998" olivierawards.com, retrieved 20 November 2017
- Shenton, Mark. "Winners of Theatre Awards U.K. 2012 Include Sarah Ruhl's 'In the Next Room', Imelda Staunton and Henry Goodman" Playbill, 28 October 2012
- Tim Masters (25 September 2013). "Henry Goodman on Brecht's Hitler satire Arturo Ui". BBC News. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Coveney, Michael (5 July 2015). "The Big Interview: Henry Goodman". The Stage. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- The Gravy Train Goes East allmovie.com, retrieved 21 November 2017
- " Measure For Measure (1994)" screenonline.org.uk, retrieved 21 November 2017
- Cold Lazarus tcm.com, retrieved 21 November 2017
- Broken Glass mpt-legacy.wgbhdigital.org, retrieved 21 November 2017
- "The Lesser of Two Evils, Series 1 - Episode 6" radiotimes.com, retrieved 22 November 2017
- Foyle's War allmovie.com, retrieved 21 November 2017
- "Who Wants to Be in a Club That Would Have Me as a Member? (as Jenry Goodman)" tv.com, retrieved 22 November 2017
- " 'The Wedding', Series 2 - Episode 3" radiotimes.com, retrieved 21 November 2017
- " 'Mumbai Calling' Pilot" comedy.co.uk, retrieved 21 November 2017
- Brown, Peter. " 'Yes, Prime Minister' Review from 2010" London Theatre, 27 September 2010
- Midsomer Murders itv.com, 14 December 2012
- "Cry Me a River" bbc.co.uk, retrieved 22 November 2017
- Lloyd, Robert. "Harry Shearer goes straight to the source for 'Nixon's the One'" Los Angeles Times, 6 November 2014
- Eyerly, Alan. " "'Penny Dreadful' recap: Rescuers search for Mina at Grand Guignol" Los Angeles Times, 14 June 2014
- "Henry Goodman Films" rottentomatoes.com, retrieved 20 November 2017
- "Henry Goodman Filmography" tcm.com, retrieved 20 November 2017
- "Filmography" allmovie.com, retrieved 20 November 2017
- "Out on a Limb (2005)".