I Didn't Know My Own Strength (Whitney Houston song)
|"I Didn't Know My Own Strength"|
Remix EP download cover
|Promotional single by Whitney Houston|
|from the album I Look to You|
|Released||November 6, 2009|
The song was written by award-winning writer, Diane Warren and produced by David Foster, both of whom have written and produced for Houston before. The song was originally supposed to precede the album's UK release on August 31, 2009 and U.S. release on September 1, 2009 but was cancelled in favor of "I Look to You" and "Million Dollar Bill". However, the song was released on November 6, 2009 as a promotional single.
Though never officially released, UK columnist Lizzie Smith reported in the Daily Mail the song had been leaked to the internet prior to its official release date. However, music mogul Clive Davis said at the album's official launch party in London that all of the tracks on the album remain unfinished. The song's release was originally confirmed by Diane Warren who told Vibe Magazine she had penned the single especially for Houston, and it would be released as the first single. At the album listening parties, Davis said the album track "Call You Tonight" was a candidate for the lead single. Following previous reports, this led to speculation that "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" would receive a limited release to generate buzz for the album, whilst a different song will be fully promoted and released to propel the album's release. Title song "I Look to You" was released as the U.S. lead single whilst "Million Dollar Bill" (the second U.S. release) became the international lead single. Houston performed the song on The Oprah Winfrey Show on September 15, 2009 and live on the 2009 American Music Awards broadcast.
Due to the popularity of the song a remix-EP was released alongside remixes for the two official singles on November 6, 2009.
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Peter Rauhofer Radio Edit) – 3:04
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Peter Rauhofer Mixshow) – 5:15
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Daddy's Groove Magic Island Radio Mix) – 3:11
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Daddy's Groove Magic Island Mixshow) – 5:19
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" (Daddy's Groove Magic Island Club Mix) – 7:23
|Chart (2009)||Peak |
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||16|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||44|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||66|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||17|
- Whitney Officially Confirms Release
- Pre-album launch party
- "Whitney Houston: 'I Look To You' - Music Album Review". Digital Spy. August 31, 2009. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Lizzie Smith (July 16, 2009). "Whitney Houston makes a triumphant return to the public eye as she launches new album I Look To You | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Perry, Simon (July 15, 2009). "Whitney Houston Back in Form for CD Launch - Music News, Clive Davis, Whitney Houston". People.com. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Information Not Found". Billboard.com. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "The Official Whitney Houston Site". Whitney Houston. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Album Cover: Whitney Houston – 'I Look to You'". Rap-Up.com. July 15, 2009. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Dianne Warren Confirms Whitney's new single to VIBE magazine
- "Whitney Houston's I Didn't Know My Own Strength - Video". Oprah.com. September 15, 2009. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Franc G. (September 15, 2009). "Whitney Houston I Didn't Know My Own Strength Video Performance On Oprah". Rnbmusicblog.com. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "I Didn't Know My Own Strength Remixes: Whitney Houston: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Chart Track: Week 43, 2009". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Whitney Houston Chart History (Japan Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Whitney Houston: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Whitney Houston Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Whitney Houston Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.