This article may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2011)
|• Body||Nagar Palika|
|• municipal chair person||K. V.Ramla teacher|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KL|
Panoor is a Municipality in the district of Kannur in the state of Kerala, India. The town is the main market place for the farmer communities in the surrounding regions. Panoor is one of the fast upcoming towns in Kerala having an enormous scope of development and it is one of the main suburbs of Thalassery. Panoor got municipal status when the Government of Kerala recently decided to upgrade Panoor Grama Panchayat and added with other Panchayats, as Panoor Municipality along with formation of Kannur Municipal Corporation.
As of 2011[update] India census, Panoor has a population of 17,438. Males constitute 46% of the population and females 54%. Panoor has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 81%. In Panoor, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Panoor is on the State Highway between Mahe and Coorg. The roads in Panoor are well laid out, although the condition of the roads is generally affected during the monsoon season. The nearest entry point to the National Highway (NH 17) is Kunchippalli which is 11 km far from Panoor. The nearest airport Kannur International Airport is just about 20 km away from Panoor. Nearest railway station is at Thalassery which is about 11 km from Panoor.
Panoor town is considered as a hub of Hindu and Muslim communities.
In panoor there are three Higher secondary schools named P.R.M.H.S.S, NAM hss and K.K.V.M.P.H.S.S. Every schools having a bunch of experienced teachers.
- Puthanpurayil Ramunni Kurup - commonly known as P. R. Kurup was an Indian socialist leader and former minister of Kerala state.
- Late Kunhiraman Panoor - commonly known as K.Panoor is a author and civic rights activist.
- K.V.Ramla Teacher- Current and first chairperson of panoor municipality
- P.K.Abdullah- businessman, social worker and state executive member of Indian union Muslim League Kerala state committee
- late P.A.Rehman -famous business man and founder of PARCO Group
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.