South Hampstead railway station
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|2 June 1879||Opened as Loudon Road|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|10 July 1922||Reopened as South Hampstead|
|? 1960s||Main Line platforms demolished|
|London transport portal|
South Hampstead railway station is on Loudoun Road in the London Borough of Camden. It is about 550 yards (500 m) south west of Swiss Cottage Underground station. It opened in 1879 as "Loudon Road station" and acquired its present name in 1922. Two platforms on the Euston to Watford DC Line remain; those on the slow main lines were largely demolished in the 1960s. During the West Coast Main Line electrification the original LNWR street building was replaced by one in the 1960s "brick lavatory" style and a new station footbridge was constructed. Traces of the removed station canopies and older footbridge can be seen in the brickwork of the retaining walls on both sides of the line.
South Hampstead station was evocatively described by Sir John Betjeman in his First and Last Loves, 1952.
The typical service is three trains per hour to London Euston, and three trains per hour to Watford Junction, calling at all stations, although this reduces to two trains per hour in the early morning and late evenings. Three trains per hour each way also run on Sundays.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Google (17 July 2012). "Walking directions to Swiss Cottage tube station from South Hampstead railway station" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- GB eNRT December 2015 Edition, Table 60 (Network Rail)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Hampstead railway station.|
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
towards Watford Junction
|Watford DC Line||
|Kilburn High Road||North London-Watford Link
(LNWR suburban system)