From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Color (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject iconThis article is supported by WikiProject Color, a project that provides a central approach to color-related subjects on Wikipedia. Help us improve articles to good and 1.0 standards; visit the wikiproject page for more details.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

What are Pb and Pr?[edit]

Y means luminance, but what do Pb and Pr mean? thanks, --Abull 20:52, 17 Jan 2005 (UTC)

The 'b' and 'r' mean 'blue' and 'red' respectively. The 'P' stands for 'Parallel', which had something to do with the actual electrical connection when the standard was first made, but you can safely assume it doesn't stand for anything in particular other than to differentiate it from YCbCr 21:29, 5 May 2007 (UTC)
What the P (and the Y for that matter) actually stand for should be added to the article. I've been googling for a while and have not been able to find out. The most convincing argument I found was that is stood for 'Purplish'. This is the only place I've seen it claimed that it stands for 'Parallel'. A reliable source needs to be found for the abbreviation and this should be added to the article.

The article calls Y the luma component, but other articles differentiate between luma (Y') and luminance (Y). Is the article incorrect?DB10099 (talk) 10:25, 15 May 2008 (UTC)

Where is this used?[edit]

Is this a U.S. standard only? (YPbPr is on DVD players and TV's here now, but I've only heard it called "Component Video")

I have not seen YUV nor VGA on Televisions here (only heard VGA in connection with computer monitors), and never heard of YUV at all untill today while reading Xbox 360, Part II: Aiming For The High Definition and Multimedia Promised Land. The author states "...since older flat-screen TVs that don't have YUV generally do have VGA." Is that just for European Televisions?

B-Y R-Y Y[edit]

That's on the component in/out connections on the breakout box for a Media 100 Macintosh video editing system. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 07:38, 5 December 2006 (UTC).

Why is component good?[edit]

The entry doesn't state why component is thought of as the best type of analog connection between video devices. How does it compare with analog RGB connectors? -- 16:08, 1 March 2007 (UTC)

What about historical usage?[edit]

My understanding is this scheme was originally invented to implement broadcast color TV as an addition to but without altering or impacting the original black-and-white signal being received by millions of B&W TVs. In fact the Y-signal is actually the legacy black-and-white TV signal and the other two were added for (now obsolete) analog color TVs to "chromatize" the B&W picture. This may be demonstrated on some monitors by connecting only the Y component cable from a video source to the monitor's component video inputs producing a B&W version of the source video. My recollection is this scheme was proposed by RCA and/or adopted back in the late 1940s or early '50s. An alternative proposed by another TV giant (CBS?) was rejected because it would have required an entirely new set of frequencies/signals for color TV. --Jmangross (talk) 20:21, 16 July 2009 (UTC)

The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the proposal was no consensus to move.--Fuhghettaboutit 01:56, 16 April 2007 (UTC)

Formally proposing move[edit]

I have just undone a move to Y'PbPr, made without consensus and by copy/paste. The move is here [1]. I have no view on whether the move should take place, but I am putting this proposal in to allow discussion. Notinasnaid 10:41, 11 April 2007 (UTC)

  • Oppose I'm fairly certain that YPbPr is most common. 22:03, 11 April 2007 (UTC)
  • Agree YPbPr is most likely the most commonly used term because its simply easier to type. Y'PbPr is the official designation and should therefore be the page that is redirected to. On a side note, sorry for making the move without a consensus. I'll be sure to follow the rules next time. Spartan018 02:34, 12 April 2007 (UTC)
The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

YPbPr vs. YUV?[edit]

OK, I don't think that there is much information about how YPbPr is different from YUV (whereas there is some mention in the YCbCr article). I can get that YPbPr is used for analogue and YCbCr is used for digital, but then there are other questions that need asking. Such as:

  • Does YPbPr use the same colour space as YCbCr? If so, then the same graphics in the YCbCr article can be used here as well. If not, then how is the YPbPr colour space different from YCbCr, apart from the obvious "one is analogue & one is digital"?
  • How is the YPbPr colour space similar to YUV? How is it different?
  • Along the same lines, for comparison sake: How is the YPbPr colour space similar to YDbDr (the space used for SÉCAM) and NTSC's YIQ colour space? How is it different from them both?
  • How can one differentiate between YPbPr and YUV?
  • Hypothetically, is it possible to have an analogue colour TV system invented which only uses the YPbPr colour space?

Granted, these are the questions that a non-specialist could ask and which should be addressed in the article, but I would hope that they would be answered here in the talk page first - just because I'm curious. --Daniel Blanchette 01:52, 20 October 2011 (UTC)

BTW - how can I get my sig to display my user page? The last couple of times this has happened, I've had to add it in manually, and I think it's a pain. — Preceding unsigned comment added by DanCBJMS (talkcontribs) 01:52, 20 October 2011 (UTC)

Please make it clear whether the red green and blue cables actually conduct those individual colors[edit]

Please make it clear whether the red green and blue cables actually conduct those specific individual colors separately because this article dose not state that specifically but seems to hint that the colors are not representative of the mixed colors amongst the respective colored wires (and I don't know and can't tell from this article). — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:49, 5 January 2013 (UTC)

The same cables can be used for YPBPR and composite video. This means that the yellow, red, and white RCA connector cables commonly packaged with most audio/visual equipment can be used in place of the YPBPR connectors, provided the end user is careful to keep track of the device functions (i.e. connect any one of the individual functions to the corresponding function on the other end using any cable color).

The above is a rather stupid thing to put under "Technical Details", however. Just state the simple fact that they're RCA jacks/plugs. An analog cable with two wires is an analog cable with two wires. You could string up some flat speaker cable to the inside and outside of the RCA jacks if you wanted. If you were referring more specifically to the color of the jacks, then the answer is "sorta-kinda". Even if they're not really carrying specific color signals, something has to be used to differentiate the plugs in a 3-plug bundle, and using colors close to what the signal represents is sensible. You could use purple, orange, and grey, instead, but if you actually care about the signalling, using something more representative helps. 2602:304:6F87:1B00:6E62:6DFF:FE00:DC5C (talk) 00:56, 28 May 2013 (UTC)

user not recognise akhl binay ankit