|Part of Twelfth Air Force|
|Controlled by||United States Army Air Forces|
It was an all-weather temporary field built by the XII Engineer Command using a graded earth compacted surface, with a prefabricated hessian (burlap) surfacing known as PHS. PHS was made of an asphalt-impregnated jute which was rolled out over the compacted surface over a square mesh track (SMT) grid of wire joined in 3-inch squares. Pierced Steel Planking was also used for parking areas, as well as for dispersal sites, when it was available. In addition, tents were used for billeting and also for support facilities; an access road was built to the existing road infrastructure; a dump for supplies, ammunition, and gasoline drums, along with a drinkable water and minimal electrical grid for communications and station lighting.
Once completed it was turned over for use by the Twelfth Air Force 31st Fighter Group from 2 August to 2 September 1943, during the liberation of Sicily, before moving up to Milazzo in eastern Sicily to take part in the Invasion of Italy.
With the Americans pulling out, engineers dismantled the airfield. Today, there appears to be traces of the airfield in a flat, open area to the southwest of Termini Imerese.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
|This article about an airport in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|