/e/ (operating system)
This article may contain excessive or inappropriate references to self-published sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Gaël Duval|
|Initial release||September 12, 2018|
/e/ (formerly Eelo) is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones on the Android mobile platform. It is a fork of LineageOS. The operating system is developed by the E Foundation, which was founded by Gaël Duval. /e/ is marketed as privacy software and does not contain proprietary Google apps or services.
In 2017, Duval, through a series of articles titled "Leaving Apple & Google: my /e/ odyssey", proposed the concept of an operating system without privacy-invasive software. This was followed by a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign. The OS was initially named Eelo, but the name was subsequently changed to /e/ due to copyright issues.
The second beta version, based on LineageOS 15.1, was released on November 22, 2018.
- Calendar - calendar functionality with different views: daily, week, month or agenda; can display several calendar feeds; forked from Etar
- Calculator - combines a four-function calculator and advanced functions in landscape mode
- Clock - combines alarm, world clock, timer and stopwatch; also includes a night mode
- Contacts - phone book for contacts; contains phone numbers, emails, and other key information
- File manager - to locate files on the smartphone and synchronize with files stored online
- Gallery - direct access to pictures and videos taken with the device or viewed in messaging apps, can be viewed in a timeline or by albums
- Mail - client to send and receive emails, forked from K-9 Mail
- Maps - web mapping app featuring points of interest, can be connected with the users contacts, forked from Magic Earth, intended as a replacement for Google Maps
- Notes - simple note-taking app
- Tasks - a task manager that can be connected with the calendar for reminders and better task management
- Telegram - instant messaging app featuring end-to-end encryption
- Browser - a lightweight web browser
- Weather - weekly weather forecast for a defined location
- Recorder - allows recording of screen and voice
- Light - control smartphone LED or screen to be used as a flashlight
- Phone - to make phone calls, feature favorites, call history and connects with phone book
- Messaging - SMS and instant messaging app, forked from Signal
/e/ does not include any Google apps that are normally pre-installed in Android phones.
/e/ offers several unique features that LineageOS does not include. Some of these features are:
- Installation procedure – the setup allows users to login with an e email identity which provides access to /e/'s various online services such as drive, email, calendar, notes, tasks.
- Settings organization – Changes have been made under settings to the user interface, icons and the set of features available under individual settings
- Customized search engine forked from Searx
- Preconfigured microG – microG is a free and open source software which clones Google’s proprietary core libraries and applications.
As of 30 April 2019, /e/ officially builds for 81 devices, including Essential Phone, Fairphone, Samsung, and Xiaomi devices. Official builds are labelled "nightly" although they are generally released every couple of days.
- "Now Is the Time to Start Planning for the Post-Android World - Linux Journal". www.linuxjournal.com.
- Scally, Derek. "De-Google your life: it's worth the hassle if you value your privacy". The Irish Times.
- "Eelo, new 'privacy-enabled' smartphone OS, will have no Google inside". 1 January 2018.
- "Leaving Apple and Google : my "eelo odyssey" — Introduction". 16 November 2017. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Leaving Apple and Google: my "eelo odyssey" - Part1: the mobile OS". 30 November 2017. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Leaving Apple and Google: my "eelo odyssey." Part 2: Web Services". 7 December 2017. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Vishal Mathur, "Eelo’s crowdfunding success shows how important data privacy is for users", livemint, 05 Jan 2018
- Duval, Gaël (12 July 2018). "Leaving Apple and Google: /e/ is the symbol for "my data is MY data"". Hacker Noon.
- "Leaving Apple & Google: /e/ first beta is here! – Hacker Noon". 12 September 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- eFoundation Gitlab
- eFoundation supported device list
- "microG Project". microg.org.
- eFoundation supported device count
- eFoundation supported device list
- "Update 30: 1,700 /e/ users accounts and counting! Do you have your account? · eelo, a mobile OS and web-services, in the public interest". Kickstarter.
- eFoundation community