135th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line)
|New York City Subway station (rapid transit)|
Entrance in park at 137th Street
|Address||West 135th Street & Saint Nicholas Avenue|
New York, NY 10030
|Locale||Harlem, Hamilton Heights|
|Line||IND Eighth Avenue Line|
|Services||A (late nights) |
B (weekdays until 11:00 p.m.)
C (all except late nights)
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: M3, Bx33|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Tracks||6 (4 in passenger service)|
|Opened||September 10, 1932|
|Accessibility||Same-platform wheelchair transfer available|
|Passengers (2017)||1,743,984 0.7%|
|Rank||271 out of 425|
|Next north||145th Street (Eighth): A C |
145th Street (Concourse): B
|Next south||125th Street: A B C|
135th Street is a local station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of 135th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Harlem and Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, it is served by the B on weekdays, the C train at all times except nights, and the A train during late nights only.
|G||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Northbound local||← toward Bedford Park Boulevard rush hours, 145th Street other times (145th Street)|
← toward 168th Street ( toward 207th Street late nights) (145th Street)
|Northbound layup track||← No regular service|
|Northbound express||← do not stop here|
|Southbound express||→ do not stop here →|
|Southbound layup track||→ No regular service|
|Southbound local||→ toward Brighton Beach (125th Street) →|
→ toward Euclid Avenue ( toward Far Rockaway late nights) (125th Street) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
The 135th Street station opened on September 10, 1932. It is the only local station with six tracks between two side platforms and is one of only three stations in the entire subway system that features six tracks on the same level, within the same tunnel (the others are DeKalb Avenue and Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets, both in Downtown Brooklyn). The two outermost tracks are used by local trains stopping at this station, while the two innermost tracks are used by express trains. The middle tracks in each direction are lay-up tracks and not used in revenue service.
This station is located close to the nearby City College of New York.
The full-time booths are at the 135th Street end, and the part-time end of the station is at 137th Street. The booth at the 137th Street exit has been removed. There were restrooms at the 137th Street end of the southbound platform. Both street staircases at this end were built with their entry points facing St. Nicholas Park and have an old-fashioned appearance.
- One stair, west side of St. Nicholas Avenue at West 135th Street, within St. Nicholas Park (southbound only)
- One stair, NE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 135th Street (northbound only)
- Two stairs, SE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 135th Street (northbound only)
- One stair, west side of St. Nicholas Avenue at West 137th Street, within St. Nicholas Park (southbound only)
- One stair, SE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 137th Street (exit-only from northbound platform). Features an array of stone casting in a Cathedral-like setting, originally built in 1932.
- The New York Times, List of the 28 Stations on the New Eighth Ave Line, September 10, 1932, page 6
- "Station Developers' Information". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "NYC Subway Wireless – Active Stations". Transit Wireless Wifi. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership 2012–2017". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. July 12, 2018. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Crowell, Paul (September 10, 1932). "Gay Midnight Crowd Rides First Trains In The New Subway: Throngs at Station an Hour Before Time, Rush Turnstiles When Chains are Dropped" (PDF). The New York Times. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "Reopening Closed Subway Entrances" (PDF). pcac.org. New York City Transit Riders Council. November 2001. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Harlem / Hamilton Heights" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 135th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line).|
- nycsubway.org – IND Eighth Avenue: 135th Street
- Station Reporter — B Train
- Station Reporter — C Train
- The Subway Nut — 135th Street Pictures
- Edgecombe Avenue, 135th Street, and Saint Nicholas Avenue entrances from Google Maps Street View
- 135th Street entrance in park from Google Maps Street View
- 137th Street stone entrance from Google Maps Street View
- 137th Street entrance in park from Google Maps Street View
- Platform from Google Maps Street View