153rd Infantry Division Macerata
|153rd Infantry Division Macerata|
153rd Infantry Division Macerata Insignia
|Country|| Regno d'Italia |
Kingdom of Italy
|Branch|| Regio Esercito |
Royal Italian Army
|Engagements||World War II|
|Macerata Division collar insignia|
The 153rd Infantry Division Macerata was an infantry division of the Italian Army during World War II. The Macerata Division was a Garrison Division formed in December 1941. In June 1942, it was transferred to Slovenia and later moved to Croatia in May 1943, where it conducted anti partisan operations. It was located around Delnice in Croatia when it was captured by the German forces following the Italian surrender to the Allies in September 1943.
Order of battle
- 121. Macerata Infantry Regiment
- 122. Macerata Infantry Regiment
- 153. Artillery Regiment
- 153. Machine Gun Battalion
- 153. Anti-Tank Battalion
- 153. Engineer Battalion
- 653. Light Motor Transport Section
- 253. Field Bakery
- Medical Section
- Carabinier Section[nb 1]
- An Italian Infantry Division normally consisted of two Infantry Regiments (three Battalions each), an Artillery Regiment, a Mortar Battalion (two companies), an Anti Tank Company, a Blackshirt Legion of two Battalions was sometimes attached. Each Division had only about 7,000 men, The Infantry and Artillery Regiments contained 1,650 men, the Blackshirt Legion 1,200, each company 150 men.
- Paoletti, Ciro (2008). A Military History of Italy. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 0-275-98505-9.
- Jowett, Phillip. The Italian Army 1040-45 (3): Italy 1943-45. Osprey Publishing, Westminster. ISBN 978-1-85532-866-2.