1963–64 British Home Championship

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from 1964 British Home Championship)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The 1963–64 British Home Championship international Home Nations football tournament was an unusual affair in which victory was shared between the England, Scotland and Ireland national football teams after all teams scored four points by beating Wales and then winning one and losing one of their remaining matches. Goal difference was not at this stage used to determine team positions in the tournament, but if it had been, England would have won with a goal difference of +8 with Scotland second and Ireland third.

England began the tournament the stronger side, defeating Wales 4–0 in Cardiff. Ireland too began well, beating the fancied Scots in a close game in Belfast. In the second round England took the lead with a thumping 8–3 victory over Ireland at home, in which Jimmy Greaves and Terry Paine both scored hat-tricks. The Scots gained some ground on the leaders by beating Wales in a close game in Glasgow in which John White scored. He was killed just two months after the tournament concluded. In the final matches, played at the close of the domestic season, England needed only a draw against Scotland to claim the trophy, whilst Ireland had to beat Wales to have any hope of reaching parity. Ireland were successful in another close game at Swansea, but Scotland edged England 1–0 to claim their own third share of the Championship.


Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
 England (C) 3 2 0 1 12 4 +8 4
 Scotland (C) 3 2 0 1 4 3 +1 4
 Ireland (C) 3 2 0 1 8 11 −3 4
 Wales 3 0 0 3 3 9 −6 0
Source:[citation needed]
Rules for classification: 1) points. The points system worked as follows: 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.
(C) Co-champions.


Ireland 2 – 1 Scotland
Bingham Goal 26'
Wilson Goal 63'
St John Goal 50'
Attendance: 39,000
Referee: England Jack Taylor

Wales 0 – 4 England
Smith Goal 5'68'
Greaves Goal 67'
Charlton Goal 86'
Attendance: 48,350
Referee: Scotland William Brittle

Scotland 2 – 1 Wales
White Goal 44'
Law Goal 48'
Jones Goal 60'
Attendance: 56,067
Referee: England William Clements

England 8–3 Ireland
Paine Goal 2'37'61'
Greaves Goal 20'30'60'65'
Smith Goal 46'
Crossan Goal 42'
Wilson Goal 74'85'
Attendance: 55,000
Referee: Wales Leo Callaghan

Scotland 1 – 0 England
Gilzean Goal 78'
Attendance: 133,245
Referee: Netherlands Leo Horn

Wales 2 – 3 Ireland
Godfrey Goal 24'
Davies Goal 63'
McLaughlin Goal 8'
Wilson Goal 37'
Harvey Goal 45'
Attendance: 10,434
Referee: England Ken Dagnall


  • Guy Oliver (1992). The Guinness Record of World Soccer. Guinness. ISBN 0-85112-954-4.

External links[edit]