1989 Football League Cup Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

1989 Football League Cup Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view).jpg
Event1988–89 Football League Cup
Date9 April 1989
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeRoger Milford (Somerset)

The 1989 Football League Cup Final was a football match played on April 9, 1989 between Nottingham Forest and the 1988 League Cup winners, Luton Town at Wembley Stadium. Nottingham Forest claimed victory in the 29th League Cup final with a 3–1 victory. Luton opened the scoring in the first half with a header from Mick Harford, while Forest's Lee Chapman had a goal disallowed at the other end. In the second half Forest took control and equalised with a penalty by Nigel Clough. Soon after, Tommy Gaynor provided a cross for Neil Webb to control and slot into the Luton net. Clough completed the scoring with a low drilled shot from just outside the penalty area. It was Forest's third victory in this competition.

Match details[edit]

Nottingham Forest3–1Luton Town
Clough (2, 1 pen)
Wembley, London
Attendance: 76,130
Nottingham Forest
Luton Town
GK 1 England Steve Sutton
RB 2 England Brian Laws
LB 3 England Stuart Pearce (c)
CB 4 England Des Walker
CB 5 Scotland Terry Wilson
LM 6 England Steve Hodge
RM 7 Republic of Ireland Tommy Gaynor
CM 8 England Neil Webb
CF 9 England Nigel Clough
CF 10 England Lee Chapman
CM 11 England Garry Parker
DF 12 England Steve Chettle
FW 14 Scotland Lee Glover
England Brian Clough
GK 1 England Les Sealey
RB 2 England Tim Breacker
LB 3 Republic of Ireland Ashley Grimes Substituted off
CM 4 England David Preece
CB 5 England Steve Foster (c)
CB 6 Scotland Dave Beaumont
RM 7 Northern Ireland Danny Wilson
CF 8 United States Roy Wegerle
CF 9 England Mick Harford
CM 10 England Ricky Hill
LM 11 Northern Ireland Kingsley Black
DF 12 England Darron McDonough Substituted in
FW 14 England Raphael Meade
England Ray Harford

Road to Wembley[edit]


Luton 1–1 Burnley (R Johnson) 2nd Round 1st Leg

Burnley 0–1 Luton (R Hill) 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Leeds 0–2 Luton (D Wilson, K Black) 3rd Round

Luton 3–1 Manchester City (R Wegerle 2, Oldfield) 4th Round

Luton 1–1 Southampton (M Harford) 5th Round

Southampton 1–2 Luton (M Harford, R Hill) 5th Round Replay

West Ham United 0–3 Luton (M Harford, R Wegerle, D Wilson) Semi-final 1st Leg

Luton 2–0 West Ham United (M Harford, R Wegerle) Semi-final 2nd Leg