1992 Football League play-offs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Football League play-offs
ChampionsBlackburn Rovers
(Second Division)
Peterborough United
(Third Division)
(Fourth Division)
Matches played15
Goals scored41 (2.73 per match)
Biggest home winLeicester 5–0 Cambridge
(Second Division)
Biggest away winHuddersfield 1–2 Peterborough
(Third Division)
Highest scoringBlackburn 4–2 Derby
(6 goals)
Highest attendance68,147 – Blackburn v Leicester
(Second Division final)
Lowest attendance5,629 – Barnet v Blackpool
(Fourth Division semi-final)
Average attendance18,510

The Football League play-offs for the 1991–92 season were held in May 1992, with the finals taking place at Wembley Stadium. The play-off semi-finals were also played over two legs and were contested by the teams who finished in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place in the Football League Second Division, the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th placed teams in the Football League Third Division and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place teams in the Football League Fourth Division table. The winners of the semi-finals progressed through to the finals, with the winner of these matches gaining promotion for the following season.

Second Division[edit]

The Second Division season finished with Ipswich Town as champions and Middlesbrough as runners-up gaining automatic promotion to the new FA Premier League. This left Derby County and Blackburn Rovers, the two biggest spending teams in the division, facing each other in the one playoff semi-final, while the other was contested between Leicester City and a Cambridge United side who successful style of long ball play had taken them to the brink of a unique third successive promotion, while Leicester had made their first serious promotion challenge since being relegated from the First Division five years earlier.

Blackburn won the first leg 4-2 at Ewood Park, and Derby's 2-1 win in the return leg at the Baseball Ground was not enough to prevent the Lancastrian side from going through to the final. In the other semi-final, Cambridge held Leicester to a 1-1 draw at the Abbey Stadium before losing the return leg 5-0 at Filbert Street.

The final - and a place in the new Premier League - was settled by a single goal as Blackburn beat Leicester thanks to a penalty by former Leicester striker Mike Newell, securing Blackburn's return to the top flight of English football after 26 years away.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
3 Derby County 46 23 9 14 69 51 +18 78
4 Leicester City 46 23 8 15 62 55 0+7 77
5 Cambridge United 46 19 17 10 65 47 +18 74
6 Blackburn Rovers 46 21 11 14 70 53 +17 74


First leg
Cambridge United1–1Leicester City
O'Shea Goal 76' Russell Goal 44'
Attendance: 9,225
Referee: John Martin

Blackburn Rovers4–2Derby County
Sellars Goal 35'
Newell Goal 44'
Speedie Goal 66'70'
Gabbiadini Goal 2'
Johnson Goal 14'
Attendance: 19,677
Referee: Keith Hackett
Second leg
Derby County2-1Blackburn Rovers
Comyn Goal 23'
McMinn Goal 74'
Moran Goal 49'
Attendance: 22,920
Referee: David Elleray

Blackburn Rovers won 5–4 on aggregate.

Leicester City5–0Cambridge United
Wright Goal 29'60'
Thompson Goal 35'
Russell Goal 59'
Ormondroyd Goal 64'
Attendance: 21,024

Leicester City won 6–1 on aggregate.


Blackburn Rovers1–0Leicester City
Newell Goal 45' (pen.)
Attendance: 68,147

Third Division[edit]

Huddersfield Town's fourth season in the Third Division since relegation in 1988 saw their most serious promotion challenge in that time, but a third-place finish meant that they had to navigate a playoff semi-final clash with a Peterborough United side in the hunt for a second successive promotion. Peterborough went through, while Stockport County overcame Stoke City in the other semi-final to set up a playoff final clash between two teams who had both been promoted from the Fourth Division only a year earlier. Peterborough won the final 2-1 to reach the second tier of English football for the first time in their history; they were still among the newest ten clubs in the Football League having joined in 1960.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
3 Huddersfield Town 46 22 12 12 59 38 +21 78
4 Stoke City 46 21 14 11 69 49 +20 77
5 Stockport County 46 22 10 14 75 51 +24 76
6 Peterborough United 46 20 14 12 65 58 0+7 74


First leg
Stockport County1–0Stoke City
Ward Goal 41'
Attendance: 7,537

Peterborough United2–2Huddersfield Town
Charlery Goal 46'
Halsall Goal 88'
Onuora Goal 28'
Robinson Goal 68' (o.g.)
Attendance: 11,751
Referee: David Elleray
Second leg
Stoke City1–1Stockport County
Stein Goal 81' Beaumont Goal 1'
Attendance: 16,170

Stockport County won 2–1 on aggregate.

Huddersfield Town1–2Peterborough United
Starbuck Goal 2' Sterling Goal 69'
Cooper Goal 86'
Attendance: 16,167

Peterborough United won 4–3 on aggregate.


Peterborough United2–1Stockport County
Charlery Goal 51'89' Francis Goal 87'
Attendance: 35,087

Fourth Division[edit]

A year after losing the Fourth Division playoff final on penalties to Torquay United, Blackpool returned to Wembley for a showdown with Scunthorpe United and this time were the winning side as they triumphed on penalties after a 1-1 draw. The Seasiders had overcome league newcomers Barnet in their semi-final, with Scunthorpe overcoming Crewe Alexandra in the other semi-final.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
4 Blackpool 42 22 10 10 71 45 +26 74
5 Scunthorpe United 42 21 9 12 64 59 0+5 72
6 Crewe Alexandra 42 20 10 12 66 51 +15 70
7 Barnet 42 21 6 15 81 61 +20 69


First leg
Carter Goal 29'
Attendance: 5,629

Crewe Alexandra2–2Scunthorpe United
Hignett Goal 6'
Naylor Goal 39'
Helliwell Goal 17'35'
Attendance: 6,063
Second leg
Groves Goal 41'
Garner Goal 57' (pen.)
Attendance: 7,588

Blackpool won 2–1 on aggregate.

Scunthorpe United2–0Crewe Alexandra
Martin Goal 83'
Hamilton Goal 89'
Attendance: 7,938

Scunthorpe United won 4–2 on aggregate.


External links[edit]