1994 Football League First Division play-off Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1994 Football League Division One play-off Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view).jpg
Date30 May 1994
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeRoger Milford (Bristol)

The 1994 Football League Division One play-off Final was contested by Leicester City and Derby County at Wembley Stadium, London. Leicester City won the match by a scoreline of two goals to one, with Steve Walsh scoring both of their goals.


This was Leicester's third consecutive play-off final, having lost to Blackburn Rovers and Swindon Town in 1992 and 1993 respectively, and they again went behind thanks to a goal by Tommy Johnson on 28 minutes getting on the end of a Paul Simpson half-volley pass. However, Leicester pulled level four minutes from half-time after Gary Coatsworth's hanging cross was converted by Steve Walsh, despite the best efforts of Derby defender Paul Williams to clear the ball off the line. The goal proved controversial though, with Derby claiming goalkeeper Martin Taylor had been impeded by Foxes' striker Iwan Roberts. The game went on, with Derby largely dominating, and Leicester captain Simon Grayson was lucky not to be sent off on 60 minutes for a professional foul. However, Derby couldn't find a way through Leicester's five-man defence, and in the end, were made to pay for their inability to find the back of the net, as with six minutes left to play and extra-time looming, Ian Ormondroyd headed at Derby keeper Taylor from a Simon Grayson cross, only for Taylor to parry and Walsh to poke the rebound into the empty net, securing his and Leicester's second goal of the match, which ultimately proved to be the winner. The victory was Leicester's first at Wembley in 7 attempts.[1]

Match details[edit]

Leicester City2–1Derby County
Walsh Goal 41'84' Report Johnson Goal 28'
Attendance: 73,671
GK 1 England Gavin Ward
SW 6 England Gary Coatsworth Substituted off 68'
RB 2 England Simon Grayson (c)
CB 5 Republic of Ireland Brian Carey
CB 4 England Jimmy Willis
LB 3 England Mike Whitlow
CM 7 England Mark Blake
CM 8 England Colin Gibson
CF 9 England Steve Walsh
CF 10 Wales Iwan Roberts Substituted off 56'
CF 11 England Ian Ormondroyd
FW 12 England Julian Joachim Substituted in 56'
MF 14 England Steve Thompson Substituted in 68'
GK 15 England Kevin Poole
England Brian Little
GK 1 England Martin Taylor
RB 2 England Gary Charles
CB 5 England Craig Short
CB 6 England Paul Williams
LB 3 England Michael Forsyth Substituted off 87'
RM 7 United States John Harkes
CM 4 England Gordon Cowans
CM 8 Wales Mark Pembridge
LM 11 England Paul Simpson
CF 9 England Marco Gabbiadini
CF 10 England Tommy Johnson
CF 12 England Paul Kitson Substituted in 87'
GK 13 England Steve Sutton
MF 14 England Jason Kavanagh
England Roy McFarland


  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Penalty shootout if scores still level.
  • 3 named substitutes.
  • Maximum of 3 substitutions.

Road to Wembley[edit]

Leicester City[edit]

First Leg Tranmere Rovers 0–0 Leicester City
Second Leg Leicester City 2–1 Tranmere Rovers

Derby County[edit]

First Leg Derby County 2–0 Millwall
Second Leg Millwall 1–3 Derby County


  1. ^ Shaw, Phil (31 May 1994). "The Independent - Football / Play-Offs: Leicester ride their luck into Premiership: Walsh proves a Wembley winner as Derby squander their chances in First Division play-offs final". London. Archived from the original on 9 September 2009. Retrieved 7 September 2009.