1996 Boston Red Sox season
|1996 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dan Duquette|
(Sean McDonough, Jerry Remy)
(Bob Kurtz, Jerry Remy)
(Jerry Trupiano, Joe Castiglione)
(Bobby Serrano, Hector Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1996 Boston Red Sox season was the 96th season in the franchise's Major League Baseball history. The Red Sox finished third in the American League East with a record of 85 wins and 77 losses, seven games behind the New York Yankees.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- October 13, 1995: Butch Henry was selected off waivers by the Boston Red Sox from the Montreal Expos.
- January 22, 1996: Alex Cole was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- January 29, 1996: Glenn Murray, Ken Ryan, and Lee Tinsley were traded by the Red Sox to the Philadelphia Phillies for Heathcliff Slocumb, Larry Wimberly (minors) and Rick Holyfield (minors).
- March 8, 1996: Kevin Mitchell was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- September 18, 1996: Roger Clemens struck out 20 batters for the second time in his career, becoming the only player ever to do so. The performance came against the Detroit Tigers at Tiger Stadium. Clemens' second 20-K day occurred in his second-to-last game as a member of the Boston Red Sox.
|New York Yankees||92||70||0.568||—||49–31||43–39|
|Boston Red Sox||85||77||0.525||7||47–34||38–43|
|Toronto Blue Jays||74||88||0.457||18||35–46||39–42|
Record vs. opponents
1996 American League Records
Sources:              
|1996 Game Log: 85–77 (Home: 47–34; Away: 38–43)|
April: 7–19 (Home: 4–8; Away: 3–11)
May: 14–12 (Home: 9–4; Away: 5–8)
June: 13–14 (Home: 9–7; Away: 4–7)
July: 13–13 (Home: 5–5; Away: 8–8)
August: 22–9 (Home: 13–5; Away: 9–4)
September: 16–10 (Home: 7–5; Away: 9–5)
|Legend: = Win = Loss|
Bold = Red Sox team member
- July 30, 1996: Kevin Mitchell was traded by the Red Sox to the Cincinnati Reds for Roberto Mejía and Brad Tweedie (minors).
- July 31, 1996: Mike Stanton and a player to be named later were traded by the Red Sox to the Texas Rangers for Mark Brandenburg and Kerry Lacy. The Red Sox completed the deal by sending Dwayne Hosey to the Rangers on November 4.
- August 1, 1996: Greg Pirkl was selected off waivers by the Red Sox from the Seattle Mariners.
- June 4, 1996: 1996 Major League Baseball Draft
Opening Day Line Up
|1996 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Awards and honors
- Mo Vaughn, reserve 1B (started game)
- Butch Henry Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Alex Cole page at Baseball Reference
- Heathcliff Slocumb page at Baseball Reference
- Kevin Mitchell page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Stanton page at Baseball Reference
- Greg Pirkl page at Baseball Reference
- Robert Ramsay page at Baseball Reference
- Justin Duchscherer page at Baseball Reference
- Aaron Harang page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007