2000 Football League First Division play-off Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
2000 Football League First Division play-off Final
Event1999–2000 Football League
First Division
Date29 May 2000 (2000-05-29)
VenueWembley Stadium, London

The 2000 Football League First Division play-off final was a football match played at Wembley Stadium on 29 May 2000, to determine the third and final team to gain promotion from the First Division to the Premiership in the 1999–2000 season. Ipswich Town faced Barnsley in the last domestic competitive fixture to be played at the original Wembley Stadium.

The match was both teams first appearance in a First Division play-off final. It was the first time Barnsley had been in the play-offs, having been relegated to the First Division after the 1997–98 season, and finishing mid-table the following season. Ipswich made the play-offs for the fourth consecutive season, but this was the first time they had advanced further than the semi-finals.

Ipswich Town won 4–2 and won promotion to the Premiership.

Route to the final[edit]

Football League Division One final table, leading positions
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1. Charlton Athletic 46 27 10 9 79 45 91
2. Manchester City 46 26 11 9 78 40 89
3. Ipswich Town 46 25 12 9 71 42 87
4. Barnsley 46 24 10 12 88 67 82
Pos=Position P=Games played W=Wins D=Draws
L=Defeats F=Goals for A=Goals against Pts=Points

Ipswich finished the regular 1999–2000 Football League season in third place in Division One, one place ahead of Barnsley. Both therefore missed out on the two automatic promotion places and instead took part in the play-offs to determine the third promoted team.[1] Ipswich were only two points behind Manchester City (who were promoted in second place) and league winners Charlton Athletic. Barnsley were in 4th place in the league table, a further five points behind Ipswich - they also finished as the highest scorers in the division with 88 goals.

On the final day of the league season Ipswich played Walsall, and won 2–0. At one point, second place Manchester City were trailing to Blackburn, meaning that Ipswich would qualify for promotion automatically. However, City eventually won the match and secured promotion, meaning Ipswich Town would be in the play-offs for the fourth consecutive year.[2]

In the play-off semi-finals, Ipswich beat 6th-placed Bolton Wanderers 5–3 at Portman Road after a 2–2 draw in the first leg away at the Reebok Stadium, giving an aggregate score of 7–5. Barnsley won the first leg 4–0 away at St Andrew's and, despite losing the second leg 2–1 at Oakwell, reached the final 5–2 on aggregate.

Barnsley Round Ipswich
Opponent Result Legs Semi-finals Opponent Result Legs
Birmingham City 5–2 4–0 away; 1–2 home Bolton Wanderers 7–5 2–2 away; 5–3 (aet) home

Match details[edit]

Barnsley2–4Ipswich Town
Wright Goal 6' (o.g.)
Hignett Goal 78' (pen.)
Report Mowbray Goal 28'
Naylor Goal 52'
Stewart Goal 58'
Reuser Goal 90'
Attendance: 73,427
Ipswich Town
GK 20 England Kevin Miller
RB 34 England John Curtis Substituted off 71'
CB 18 England Chris Morgan
CB 31 England Steve Chettle
LB 11 Wales Darren Barnard
RM 8 England Craig Hignett
CM 28 Scotland Keith Brown
CM 7 South Africa Eric Tinkler (c) Substituted off 60'
LM 3 England Matty Appleby Yellow card
CF 10 England Bruce Dyer Substituted off 64'
CF 9 England Neil Shipperley
DF 2 England Nicky Eaden Substituted in 71'
DF 6 England Scott Jones
MF 16 England Geoff Thomas Substituted in 60'
FW 12 England Mike Sheron
FW 19 North Macedonia Gjorgji Hristov Substituted in 64'
England Dave Bassett
GK 1 England Richard Wright
RWB 25 England Gary Croft
CB 24 England John McGreal
CB 5 England Tony Mowbray
CB 6 England Mark Venus
LWB 3 England Jamie Clapham
CM 8 Republic of Ireland Matt Holland (c)
CM 11 Northern Ireland Jim Magilton
CM 14 England Jermaine Wright Substituted off 89'
CF 9 Jamaica David Johnson Substituted off 22'
CF 27 England Marcus Stewart Substituted off 83'
GK 21 Republic of Ireland Keith Branagan
DF 2 Netherlands Fabian Wilnis Substituted in 89'
MF 17 England Wayne Brown
MF 30 Netherlands Martijn Reuser Substituted in 83'
FW 12 England Richard Naylor Yellow card Substituted in 22'
Scotland George Burley


  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Penalty shootout if scores still level.
  • 5 named substitutes.
  • Maximum of 3 substitutions.


In a change from Barnsley's traditional kit of red top and white shorts, for the play-off final they wore an all-red strip.[3]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Final 1999/2000 Football League Championship Table". Soccerbase. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
  2. ^ "Play-off joy at last for Burley's Ipswich". BBC Sport. BBC. 29 June 2000. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
  3. ^ "Coca-Cola Championship". www.cocacolachampionship.org. Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 22 June 2008.