2001 Jersey City mayoral election
|Elections in New Jersey|
The Jersey City mayoral election of 2001 was held on May 8, 2001. The mayor is popularly elected in a nonpartisan general election. The incumbent Mayor of Jersey City, Bret Schundler, did not run for re-election.
A runoff held on June 5, 2001. Glenn Cunningham was elected, becoming the first African-American mayor of Jersey City. His opponent in the run-off was Thomas A. DeGise, who later became Hudson County Executive. It was one of the most expensive local races in New Jersey history.
|Glenn Dale Cunningham||14,392||38.61%|
|Thomas A. DeGise||9,008||24.17%|
Gerald McCann, who had served two non-consecutive terms as Mayor of Jersey City before being convicted of fraud in a savings-and-loan scam, attempted to file a petition to run but was barred from doing so.
|Glenn Dale Cunningham||22,232||53.17%|
|Thomas A. DeGise||19,581||46.83%|
- "Jersey City Mayor Glenn Cunningham: A life filled with firsts". NJ.com. April 24, 2017. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (9 May 2001). "Close Election Forces Runoff For Mayor Of Jersey City". Retrieved 18 February 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Ten years ago, Glenn D. Cunningham became Jersey City's first black mayor". NJ.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "In Jersey City, runoff elections rarely change initial outcome". NJ.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "A little Jersey City election day history". 12 May 2009. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Smothers, Ronald (27 May 2004). "Death of Jersey City Mayor Tips the Balance of Power". Retrieved 18 February 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Vote for Bernie Hartnett vs Tom DeGise for County Executive (Click Here) plus How do you rate our Jersey City Mayor Glenn Cunningham Jersey CityOnline May 8TH Mayor's Election Results". www.jerseycityonline.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "GERALD McCANN v. CLERK CITY OF JERSEY CITY,". Justia Law. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "How do you rate our Jersey City Mayor Glenn Cunningham and Vote for Bernie Hartnett vs Tom DeGise for County Executive (Click Here) Plus Jersey City Election Results Glenn Cumminghan vs Tom Di Gise Jersey City Mayoral Election Results June 5, 2001". www.jerseycityonline.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
|This New Jersey elections-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|