2001 San Diego Padres season
|2001 San Diego Padres|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Kevin Towers|
(Mark Grant, Mel Proctor, Bob Chandler, Rick Sutcliffe)
(Jerry Coleman, Ted Leitner)
(Rene Mora, Juan Avila, Eduardo Ortega)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2001 San Diego Padres season was the 33rd season in franchise history.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Award winners
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 3, 2000: Buddy Carlyle was purchased by Hanshin Tigers (Japan Central) from the San Diego Padres.
- December 10, 2000: Ernie Young was signed as a Free Agent with the San Diego Padres.
- December 15, 2000: Adam Riggs was signed as a Free Agent with the San Diego Padres.
- January 12, 2001: Heathcliff Slocumb was released by the San Diego Padres.
- March 19, 2001: Rickey Henderson signed as a Free Agent with the San Diego Padres.
- March 28, 2001: Mark Kotsay was traded by the Florida Marlins with Cesar Crespo to the San Diego Padres for Matt Clement, Eric Owens, and Omar Ortíz (minors).
- During the 2001 season, Rickey Henderson broke two major league records and reached a career milestone. He broke Babe Ruth's all-time record for walks, Ty Cobb's all-time record for runs (doing so with a home run), and on the final day of the season, he had his 3,000th career hit. That final game was also Padre legend Tony Gwynn's last major league game, and is the only time in Major League history in which 2 teammates had 3,000 hits each. Rickey had originally wanted to sit that game out so as not to detract from the occasion, but Gwynn insisted that Henderson play.
At the age of 42, his last substantial major league season, Henderson finished the year with 25 stolen bases, ninth in the NL. It also marked Rickey Henderson's 23rd consecutive season in which he'd stolen more than 20 bases.
Opening Day starters
- Chris Gomez – SS
- Mark Kotsay – CF
- Mike Darr – LF
- Ryan Klesko – 1B
- Tony Gwynn – RF
- Damian Jackson – 2B
- Ben Davis – C
- Phil Nevin – 3B
- Kevin Jarvis – SP
|San Francisco Giants||90||72||0.556||2||49–32||41–40|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||86||76||0.531||6||44–37||42–39|
|San Diego Padres||79||83||0.488||13||35–46||44–37|
Record vs. opponents
2001 National League Records
Sources:                
- July 30, 2001: Sterling Hitchcock was traded by the San Diego Padres to the New York Yankees for Brett Jodie and Darren Blakely (minors).
|2001 San Diego Padres|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
- Ryan Klesko
- Phil Nevin
LEAGUE CO-CHAMPIONS: Lake Elsinore
- Heathcliff Slocumb Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Sterling Hitchcock Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007