2003 Baltimore Orioles season
|2003 Baltimore Orioles|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Jim Beattie/Mike Flanagan|
(Jim Palmer, Michael Reghi, Buck Martinez)
|Local radio||WBAL (AM)|
(Fred Manfra, Jim Hunter)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- December 2, 2002: Bill Pulsipher was signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
- January 3, 2003: Omar Daal was signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
- March 7, 2003: B. J. Surhoff was signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
On February 16, 2003, towards the beginning of Orioles' spring training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Steve Bechler collapsed while participating in conditioning drills. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, and died the next day. His body temperature had reached 108 °F (42 °C). An autopsy performed by Dr. Joshua Perper, a toxicologist, concluded that his death was caused by "'abnormal liver function and mild hypertension', his weight problem (he weighed 230 pounds and was exercising hard, the fact that he was not used to south Florida's warm weather and the toxicity of ephedra. He was using the supplement ephedra, against the advice of his trainer, and probably had not eaten in two days in an effort to lose weight.
|New York Yankees||101||61||0.623||—||50–32||51–29|
|Boston Red Sox||95||67||0.586||6||53–28||42–39|
|Toronto Blue Jays||86||76||0.531||15||41–40||45–36|
|Tampa Bay Devil Rays||63||99||0.389||38||36–45||27–54|
Record vs. opponents
2003 American League Records
Sources:              
- June 3, 2003: Nick Markakis was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 1st round (7th pick) of the 2003 amateur draft. Player signed June 11, 2003.
- July 25, 2003: Sean Spencer was signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
|2003 Baltimore Orioles|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
- Bill Pulsipher Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- B. J. Surhoff Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- "Steve Bechler Death | Steve Bechler's Death Five Years Later". Baltimore Sun. February 17, 2008. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Why is America so Fat p54 by Ben Kennedy )
- Death at the ballpark: a comprehensive study of game-related fatalities of ... by Robert M. Gorman, David Weeks. McFarland Press. p. 64.
- Drugs and society by Glen R. Hanson, Peter J. Venturelli, Annette E. Fleckenstein p. 314.
- WEIGHT TO BEAR Obsession with shedding pounds led Bechler to ephedra[permanent dead link] BY T.J. QUINN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER WITH CHRISTIAN RED AND ANTHONY MCCARRON. Sunday, February 23, 2003.
- Nick Markakis Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007
- Baseball America 2004 Directory. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2004