2004 European Parliament election in Ireland
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
13 seats to the European Parliament
Colours indicate winning party.
|Members of the|
|List of women MEPs|
The 2004 European Parliament election in Ireland was the Irish component of the 2004 European Parliament election. The voting was held on Friday, 11 June 2004. The election coincided with the 2004 local elections. The election was conducted under the single transferable vote.
- Munster constituency lost County Clare and was reduced from 4 seats to 3 and renamed South
- Connacht–Ulster gained County Clare and was renamed North-West
- Leinster had no boundary changes but was reduced from 4 seats to 3 and renamed East
- Dublin was unchanged
The election was organised by city/county council area, the basis for the local elections being held simultaneously. Voters received different-coloured ballot papers for the European election, city/county council election, and a constitutional referendum, all of which went into the same ballot box and were separated by colour once the boxes arrived at the count centre for the city/county. Not all voters received all ballots as the franchises differ. The European ballots were all counted in one city/county, necessitating a second transportation of the separated ballots from the other city/county centres. For example, the East ballots were counted in Navan, County Meath.
|Party||Party Leader||1st Pref Vote||%||±%||Seats||±|
|Fine Gael||Enda Kenny||494,412||27.8||+3.2||5||+1|
|Fianna Fáil||Bertie Ahern||524,504||29.5||−9.1||4||−2|
|Sinn Féin||Gerry Adams||197,715||11.1||+4.8||1||+1|
|Labour Party||Pat Rabbitte||188,132||10.5||+1.8||1||±0|
|Green Party||Trevor Sargent||76,917||4.3||−2.4||0||−2|
|Socialist Party||Joe Higgins||23,218||1.3||+0.5||0||±0|
|Dublin||821,723||435,136 (52.9%)||13,239 (3.0%)||421,897||84,380||4||12|
|East||806,598||471,895 (58.5%)||18,717 (3.9%)||453,178||113,295||3||13|
|North-West||688,804||435,910 (63.3%)||14,487 (3.3%)||421,423||105,356||3||9|
|South||802,359||498,394 (62.1%)||14,124 (2.8%)||484,270||121,068||3||10|
|Total||3,119,484||1,841,335 (59.0%)||60,567 (3.3%)||1,780,768||—||13||44|
|East||Leinster less Dublin||3||1m||333k|
|South||Munster less Clare||3||1m||333k|
|North-West||Connacht plus Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Clare||3||800k||270k|
- List of members of the European Parliament for Ireland, 2004–09 – List ordered by constituency
- For the Northern Ireland European Parliament elections, see 2004 UK European Parliament election.
- Murphy, Tom (10 June 2004). "91,000 people are eligible to vote". Wicklow People. Retrieved 19 October 2018.