2006 Football League Two play-off Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2006 Football League Two play-off Final
Date28 May 2006
VenueMillennium Stadium, Cardiff
RefereePaul Taylor

The 2006 Football League Two play-off Final was a football match played at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff on 28 May 2006, at the end of the 2005–06 season. It was the second League Two play-off final since the Football League's 2004 rebranding and the 20th play-off final in all at the fourth level of English football. The match determined the fourth and final team to gain promotion from League Two to League One, and was contested by Grimsby Town, who had finished fourth during the league season, and Cheltenham Town, who had finished fifth. The teams reached the final by defeating Lincoln City and Wycombe Wanderers respectively in the two-legged semi-finals. Steve Guinan scored the only goal of the final to ensure Cheltenham's return to the third level of English football after an absence of three seasons.



Grimsby Town
Cheltenham Town
GK 1 Steve Mildenhall
RB 20 Gary Croft Substituted off 75'
CB 12 Rob Jones
CB 6 Justin Whittle (c)
LB 3 Tom Newey
RM 31 Junior Mendes Substituted off 83'
CM 8 Paul Bolland
CM 32 Curtis Woodhouse Yellow card
LM 11 Andy Parkinson
FW 9 Michael Reddy Substituted off 27'
FW 19 Gary Jones
DF 5 Ben Futcher Substituted in 75'
RM 10 Marc Goodfellow Substituted in 83'
CM 18 Ciarán Toner
CM 7 Jean-Paul Kalala
FW 15 Gary Cohen Substituted in 27'
Russell Slade
GK 1 Shane Higgs
RB 2 Jerry Gill
CB 4 Shane Duff
CB 19 Craig Armstrong Substituted off 27'
LB 5 Gavin Caines
RM 18 Ashley Vincent Substituted off 77'
CM 8 John Finnigan (c)
CM 7 Brian Wilson Substituted off 74'
LM 11 Grant McCann
CF 9 Steve Guinan
CF 25 Steven Gillespie Substituted off 62'
GK 12 Scott Brown
DF 33 Micky Bell Substituted in 74'
MF 14 Dave Bird
FW 17 Kayode Odejayi Substituted in 62'
FW 10 Damian Spencer Substituted in 77'
John Ward

See also[edit]

External links[edit]