2008 Champ Car season
|2008 Champ Car season|
|Champ Car World Series|
2008 Champ Car season
The 2008 Champ Car World Series season would have been the 30th season of the series and the fifth instance of the Champ Car World Series. It was scheduled to begin on April 20, 2008 and end on November 9 had the open wheel unification not occurred. The season, with the sole exception of the Long Beach Grand Prix (won by Will Power), was canceled on February 21, 2008 because of the buyout of Champ Car by the rival Indy Racing League.
The Rexall Grand Prix of Edmonton and the Gold Coast Indy 300 were retained and transferred to the IndyCar Series schedule. The schedule included what would have been the first Monterey Grand Prix since 2004 and the supposed debut of the Champ Car Grand Prix of Spain. Some of the Champ Car races were scrapped.
The 2008 Champ Car schedule was announced in November 2007 before the unification announcement
- All 2008 Champ Car races were going to be run on road courses and street circuits.
- The Champ Car Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca was set to return on May 18.
- The Champ Car Grand Prix of Spain was going to debut on June 8 at the Circuito Permanente de Jerez in Spain.
Team and driver lineup
The following teams and drivers were expected to compete for the 2008 Champ Car season. All teams would have used a Cosworth 2.65-litre turbocharged V8 engine, a Panoz DP01 chassis, and Bridgestone tires.
|Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing||1||Justin Wilson||McDonald's|
|2||Graham Rahal||Hole in the Wall Camps|
|Forsythe/Pettit Racing||3||Paul Tracy||Indeck|
|Minardi Team USA||4||E. J. Viso||PDVSA|
|Team Australia||5||Will Power||Aussie Vineyards|
|15||Matt Halliday||Walker Racing|
|Rocketsports Racing||8||Enrique Bernoldi||Sangari|
|Dale Coyne Racing||11||Bruno Junqueira||Dale Coyne Racing|
|19||Mario Moraes||Sonny's BBQ|
|KV Racing Technology||21||Alex Tagliani||PKV Racing|
|Pacific Coast Motorsports||29||Alex Figge||Pacific Coast Motorsports|
|96||Mario Domínguez||Visit Mexico City|
|Conquest Racing||24||Franck Perera||ARES|
- The driver line-up represents the entry list for the Sebring Test.
- David Martínez was a test driver for Pacific Coast Motorsports.
- "2008 IRL IndyCar Series". Champ Car Stats. Archived from the original on 2009-05-28. Retrieved 2009-05-19.
- "Justin Wilson, Graham Rahal To Make Up Newman/Haas/Lanigan Lineup". champcarworldseries.com. 2008-01-29. Archived from the original on 6 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- "Rocketsports Signs Former F1 Driver". champcarworldseries.com. 2008-01-28. Archived from the original on 4 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- "Oriol Servià Signs With PKV". champcarworldseries.com. 2008-01-05. Retrieved 2008-01-10.
- "Conquest Racing Confirms Atlantic's 'Fearless' Franck Perera For 2008 Champ Car World Series Season". champcarworldseries.com. 2008-02-06. Archived from the original on 4 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-06.