2009 Houston mayoral election
|Elections in Texas|
The Houston Mayoral Election of 2009 took place on November 3, 2009, to elect the successor to incumbent Mayor Bill White. White was ineligible for re-election, having served three terms. The race is officially nonpartisan. After no candidate received a majority of the votes, the top two candidates - City Controller Annise Parker and former City Attorney Gene Locke - faced each other in a runoff election on December 12, 2009. On November 11, councilman Peter Brown (who finished third in the first round) publicly endorsed Parker in the Mayor's race. Annise Parker won the run-off and is now the mayor of Houston.
Candidates listed in order of how they appear on the official ballot.
- City Councilman Peter Brown
- Amanda Ulman
- Luis Ullrich
- Dan Cupp
- Education Trustee Roy Morales
- City Controller Annise Parker
- Former City Attorney Gene Locke
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2009)
List of people who endorsed Peter Brown
Brown's endorsers include:
List of people who endorsed Gene Locke
Locke's endorsers include:
List of people who endorsed Roy Morales
Morales's endorsers include:
List of people who endorsed Annise Parker
Parker's endorsers include:
|Source||Error Margin||Date||Peter Brown (D)||Gene Locke (D)||Roy Morales (R)||Annise Parker (D)|
|Houston Chronicle and Zogby International ||+/- 4.1%||October 18, 2009||23.8%||13.1%||6.7%||19.0%|
|11 News/ KUHF Houston Public Radio poll ||+/- 4.2%||October 27, 2009||24%||14%||5%||16%|
- "Peter Brown endorses Annise Parker for mayor". Retrieved 2009-11-01.
- McKinley Jr., James C. (December 12, 2009). "Houston Is Largest City to Elect Openly Gay Mayor". New York Times.
- Ortez, David (December 16, 2009). "Why Annise Parker Won And Gene Locke Lost". Houston Press. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "Harris County Official Sample Ballot - 2009" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Poll: Brown leads Houston Mayor's race". Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Brown commands big lead in 11 News mayoral poll". Archived from the original on 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- "Houston Mayor's Race". Archived from the original on 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- Banks, Gabrielle (January 22, 2016). "Gene Locke named to fill Commissioner Lee's seat". Houston Chronicle.
- Peter Brown
- Gene Locke
- Roy Morales
- Annise Parker
- Houston Chronicle special online section
- Election Information
|This Texas elections-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|