2013 Football League One play-off Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2013 Football League One play-off Final
2013 Football League One play off final - Yeovil fans.jpg
Event2012–13 Football League One
Date19 May 2013
VenueWembley Stadium, London
Man of the MatchMarek Štěch
RefereeAndy D'Urso[1]

The 2013 Football League One play-off Final was a football match contested by Brentford and Yeovil Town. It was played on 19 May 2013 at Wembley Stadium to decide the third team to be promoted from League One to the Championship for the 2013–14 season.

Under League One play-off rules, the final was contested by the two teams which secured an aggregate victory over the two-legged semi-finals contested between the teams finishing between third and sixth in the league table. Brentford secured a place in the final by beating Swindon Town 5–4 on penalties, after the two-legs finished 4–4 on aggregate. Yeovil Town secured a place in the final by beating Sheffield United 2–1 on aggregate. Yeovil went on to win the final 2–1 against Brentford.[2]

Route to the final[edit]

First leg
Sheffield United1–0Yeovil Town
McFadzean Goal 46' Report
Attendance: 15,262
Swindon Town1–1Brentford
Luongo Goal 70' Report O'Connor Goal 90+4' (pen.)
Attendance: 10,595

Second leg
Yeovil Town2–0Sheffield United
Dawson Goal 6'
Upson Goal 85'
Attendance: 8,152
Referee: Phil Gibbs

Yeovil Town won 2–1 on aggregate.

Brentford3–3 (a.e.t.)Swindon Town
A. Rooney Goal 24' (o.g.)
Donaldson Goal 40'47'
Report A. Rooney Goal 44'
Devera Goal 57'
Flint Goal 90+5'
Saunders Penalty scored
Hayes Penalty scored
Dean Penalty scored
Craig Penalty scored
Forshaw Penalty scored
5–4 Penalty scored Devera
Penalty scored Flint
Penalty scored Collins
Penalty missed Storey
Penalty scored Roberts
Griffin Park, London
Attendance: 9,109
Referee: Nigel Miller

Brentford 4–4 Swindon Town on aggregate. Brentford won 5–4 on penalties.



Brentford1–2Yeovil Town
Dean Goal 51' Report Madden Goal 6'
Burn Goal 42'
Attendance: 41,955
Yeovil Town
GK 21 Simon Moore
DF 14 Shay Logan
DF 5 Tony Craig
DF 6 Harlee Dean
DF 24 Jake Bidwell
MF 4 Adam Forshaw
MF 12 Tom Adeyemi
MF 20 Toumani Diagouraga Substituted off 82'
MF 19 Harry Forrester Substituted off 67'
FW 9 Clayton Donaldson
FW 11 Marcello Trotta Substituted off 62'
GK 16 Antoine Gounet
DF 18 Lee Hodson
MF 2 Kevin O'Connor
MF 7 Sam Saunders Substituted in 67'
MF 8 Jonathan Douglas
FW 17 Bradley Wright-Phillips Substituted in 62'
FW 23 Paul Hayes Substituted in 82'
Uwe Rösler
GK 1 Marek Štěch
DF 2 Luke Ayling
DF 5 Byron Webster
DF 18 Dan Burn
DF 3 Jamie McAllister Substituted off 77'
MF 22 Kevin Dawson Yellow card 75'
MF 8 Ed Upson Yellow card 70'
MF 14 Sam Foley
MF 20 Joe Edwards
FW 9 James Hayter Substituted off 88'
FW 17 Paddy Madden
GK 12 Gareth Stewart
DF 4 Richard Hinds
DF 13 Vitālijs Maksimenko Substituted in 77'
MF 10 Gavin Williams Yellow card 90'
MF 26 Matthew Dolan Substituted in 88'
FW 15 Lewis Young
FW 29 Ángelo Balanta
Gary Johnson

Man of the Match:
Marek Štěch (Yeovil Town)

Assistant referees:
Derek Eaton[1]
Alan Young[1]
Fourth official:
Graham Scott[1]
Reserve Assistant Referee:
John Hopkins[1]

Match rules:

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra time if necessary.
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level.
  • Seven named substitutes.
  • Maximum of three substitutions.


  1. ^ a b c d e f "Referees". The Football League.
  2. ^ "Yeovil battle past Brentford and head to Championship for first time". The Guardian. London. 19 May 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.