2013 United States gubernatorial elections
Results of the November 2013 elections:
United States gubernatorial elections were held on November 5, 2013 in two states. These elections formed part of the 2013 United States elections.
|NJ||Chris Christie||Republican||Re-elected, 60.3%||Barbara Buono (D) 38.19%|
|VA||Bob McDonnell||Republican||Term-limited, Democratic gain||Terry McAuliffe (D) 47.75%|
Ken Cuccinelli (R) 45.23%
Robert Sarvis (L) 6.52%
Term-limited Republican incumbent
Bob McDonnell (Virginia)
Robert Sarvis, an entrepreneur and lawyer, was the Libertarian Party nominee. On June 26, 2013, the Virginia State Board of Elections confirmed to Sarvis's campaign that he would be listed on the ballot statewide during the elections this November.
On November 5, 2013, Terry McAuliffe narrowly beat Ken Cuccinelli by a margin of 48% to 45.5% with Robert Sarvis accounting for the other 6.6% of the vote.
Republican incumbent who sought re-election
Chris Christie (New Jersey)
Christie's approval ratings have hovered at or above 50% consistently throughout 2012, and broke records as the highest approval rating of any New Jersey governor in a recent Fairleigh Dickinson poll.
The Libertarian nominee was Ken Kaplan, who also ran for U.S. Senator in 2012.
Chris Christie cruised to victory on November 5, 2013 when he won in a landslide victory against his adversary, Barbara Buono. Christie won 60.4% of the vote compared to 38.1% of the vote Buono earned. Exit polls also showed that Christie appealed to ethnic minorities, an increasing priority for Republicans.
- "2013 Gubernatorial Election Results". Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. Retrieved Aug 3, 2014.
- Associated, The (2013-05-18). "Ken Cuccinelli nominated for governor by Virginia GOP". Wjla.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Walker, Julian (April 2, 2013). "McAuliffe named Dem governor nominee, 4 others make ballot". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Libertarian Candidate Robert Sarvis Makes the Ballot in Virginia Governor's Race". Charlottesville Newsplex. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Virginia Governor – 2013 Election Results". The New York Times.
- Steinhauser, Paul (November 26, 2012). "Chris Christie files for re-election bid". CNN. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Rubin, Jennifer (1 May 2013). "Christie will cruise to reelection. Then what?". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Aristide Economopoulos/The Star-Ledger. "Gov. Christie's approval rate highest ever among N.J. residents". NJ.com. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "Christie's Approval Rating Rises to Record in Voter Poll". Businessweek. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "Monmouth Poll: Christie approval rating at 51%". Politicker NJ. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "U.S. News | National News – ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.[dead link]
- Lesiak, Krzysztof (2013-05-04). "Libertarian Kenneth Kaplan to Run for Governor of New Jersey in 2013". Independent Political Report. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "New Jersey Governor – 2013 Election Results". The New York Times.