2016 Football League One play-off Final
|Event||2015–16 Football League One|
|Date||29 May 2016|
|Venue||Wembley Stadium, London|
|Man of the Match||Adam Hammill (Barnsley)|
The 2016 Football League One play-off Final was a football match contested between Barnsley and Millwall. The match was played at Wembley Stadium on 29 May 2016. The winner, Barnsley were promoted to the Championship. The game was won 3–1 by Barnsley.
Route to the final
Note: In all results below, the score of the finalist is given first (H: home; A: away).
|League One 6th-placed team
|League One||League One 4th-placed team
|Opponent||Agg||1st leg||2nd leg||Play-offs||Opponent||Agg||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Walsall||6–1||3–0 (H)||3–1 (A)||Semi-finals||Bradford City||4–2||3–1 (A)||1–1 (H)|
Barnsley finished in sixth place of the League One table, they booked their place in the Play-off final after a 6–1 win on aggregate against Walsall in the semi-finals. This was Barnsley's second appearance at Wembley Stadium of 2016, they won the Football League Trophy after winning 3–2 in the final against Oxford United on the Sunday 3 April 2016.
Millwall qualified for the final by beating Bradford City in the semi-final with police horses being deployed on the pitch at The Den to quell a pitch invasion by Millwall supporters. Millwall manager, Neil Harris, called on the club's supporters to create a "hostile atmosphere" at Wembley. During the club's last appearance at Wembley, for a semi-final in the 2013 FA cup against Wigan Athletic, their supporters fought amongst themselves.
Towards the end of the game, with Barnsley winning 3–1, a group of Millwall supporters broke through a security barrier and attacked Barnsley supporters some of whom were forced to leave the stadium to avoid the violence. The fighting was condemned by the Football Association Objects were also thrown on Barnsley supporters occupying a lower tier and were aimed at Barnsley players on the pitch.
- "Barnsley 3–1 Millwall". BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- Scott, Ged (19 May 2016). "Walsall 1–3 Barnsley". BBC Sport. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Mitchell, Brendon (20 May 2016). "Millwall 1–1 Bradford City". BBC Sport. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Scott, Ged. "Walsall 1–3 Barnsley (1–6 agg)". BBC Sport. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Stevens, Rob. "Barnsley 3–1 Millwall". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Cartwright, Phil (3 April 2016). "Barnsley 3 Oxford United 2". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Ronay, Barney (13 April 2013). "Extreme violence in Millwall end has football fading into irrelevance". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "Millwall manager Neil Harris asks fans for 'hostile atmosphere' in Wembley play-off final with Barnsley". The Daily Telegraph. London. 26 May 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "League One play-off final: Millwall fans 'storm security barriers' at Wembley". London Evening Standard. 29 May 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Millwall promise to hand life bans to any fans involved in violent clashes during League One play-off final defeat". The Independent. London. 29 May 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2016.