2016 United Nations General Assembly presidential election
An indirect presidential election was held to choose the President of the United Nations General Assembly on 13 June 2016 to replace Mogens Lykketoft and preside over the Seventy-first session of the United Nations General Assembly. It was the rotational turn of the Asia-Pacific Group to preside over the session. Peter Thomson was elected with 94 votes for and 90 votes against. This was the first time since 2012 that there was no consensus candidate from the regional groupings, thus invoking a secret ballot vote. His tenure begins on 13 September 2016.
Though there is usually a consensus candidate from the rotational group which is scheduled to hold the post of president of the United Nations General Assembly, if there is no consensus candidate then a vote is held by secret ballot amongst the entire United Nations General Assembly.
The election takes added import as it occurs in a year of the United Nations Secretary-General election.
Fiji's ran its former ambassador as a candidate. Peter Thomson had previously sought citizenship in Australia and New Zealand after a coup in his country but was later re-issued citizenship with a new law and took up the diplomatic posts.
Thomson won narrowly over Mavroyiannis by a vote of 94 to 90 member states, with nine abstentions.
- "Lietuvos Respublikos užsienio reikalų ministerija - Lietuvos Respublikos užsienio reikalų ministerija" (in Latvian). mission-un-ny.mfa.lt. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Nepal elected UNGA vice-president from Asia-Pacific". newsx.com. Archived from the original on 27 August 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "UN General Assembly Elects New President and Vice-Presidents". afghanistan-un.org. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Amb. Andreas Mavroyiannis - Concordia". concordia.net. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Cyprus Candidate for President of the 71st UNGA - Curriculum Vitae of Ambassador Andreas D. Mavroyiannis". MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS - Cyprus. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Fijian Diplomat Peter Thompson elected president of U.N General Assembly". onlinetyari.com. Retrieved 15 August 2016.