2016 United States Grand Prix
|2016 United States Grand Prix|
|Race 18 of 21 in the 2016 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Circuit of the Americas
|Date||23 October 2016|
|Official name||2016 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, United States|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.513 km (3.426 mi)|
|Distance||56 laps, 308.405 km (191.634 mi)|
|Weather||Sunny and hot with temperatures reaching up to 84 °F (29 °C); wind speeds approaching speeds of 9.2 miles per hour (14.8 km/h)|
|Time||1:39.877 on lap 55|
|Third||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
The 2016 United States Grand Prix (formally known as the 2016 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 23 October 2016 at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, United States. The race marked the forty-sixth running of the United States Grand Prix, and the thirty-eighth time that the race has been run as a World Championship event since the inaugural season in 1950.
Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg entered the round with a thirty-three-point lead over teammate Lewis Hamilton in the World Drivers' Championship. Mercedes team held an unassailable 208-point lead over Red Bull Racing in the World Constructors' Championship, having secured the Constructors' title in the previous race in Japan.
This was the last time 2009 World Champion Jenson Button scored points in Formula One, retiring at the end of the season to take up an ambassadorial role at McLaren.
The race started off well for Hamilton, leading on the run up to Turn 1, with Jenson Button and a Toro Rosso running wide out of the first corner. Daniel Ricciardo slotted into second while Hamilton's teammate and closest championship rival Nico Rosberg fell back to third. Valtteri Bottas suffered a puncture and had to pit after the first lap. Nico Hülkenberg retired on lap 7 due to earlier collision damage. On the corner before the backstraight DRS zone, Esteban Gutiérrez of the Haas F1 Team locked up the front right tyre heavily and retired subsequently due to brake problems. On lap 31, Max Verstappen retired due to a gearbox problem and stopped out of the first DRS zone, triggering a Virtual Safety Car period. Kimi Räikkönen retired after coming out of the pit lane during a routine stop with a loose wheel. Hamilton went on to win his 5th race in the United States, with Nico Rosberg in second and Daniel Ricciardo rounding out the podium spots. Hamilton reduced Rosberg's lead in the Drivers' Championship to 26 points with 3 races left in the season.
|3||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:36.759||1:36.255||1:35.509||3|
|4||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:36.613||1:36.857||1:35.747||4|
|7||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:36.950||1:36.626||1:36.628||7|
|10||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:37.744||1:37.175||1:37.326||10|
|11||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:37.345||1:37.353||11|
|13||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:37.844||1:37.480||13|
|107% time: 1:43.036|
- ^1 – Kevin Magnussen received a five-second penalty after the race for an illegal overtake on Daniil Kvyat.
Championship standings after the race
- Bold text indicates who still had a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for the sets of standings.
- "United States". formula1.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Weather information for the "2016 United States Grand Prix"". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Autoweek - Formula 1 USGP sets new attendance record for COTA after years of struggling numbers
- "2016 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 22 October 2016. Archived from the original on 23 October 2016. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "2016 United States Grand Prix Race – Provisional Classification". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 23 October 2016. Archived from the original on 23 October 2016.
- "United States 2016 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2016 United States Grand Prix.|
2016 Japanese Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2016 Mexican Grand Prix
2015 United States Grand Prix
|United States Grand Prix||Next race:|
2017 United States Grand Prix