2018 Kansas City Chiefs–Los Angeles Rams game
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the site of the game
|Date||November 19, 2018|
|Stadium||Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, California|
|TV in the United States|
|Radio in the United States|
The 2018 Kansas City Chiefs vs. Los Angeles Rams game was an American football game in the National Football League (NFL) between the visiting Kansas City Chiefs and the Los Angeles Rams on November 19, 2018. The game was a Monday Night Football game televised nationally on ESPN. The Rams won the game 54–51, with the Rams and Chiefs combining for 105 points, (21 scored by defenses) making it the highest scoring Monday Night Football game and the third highest scoring game in NFL history. The two teams also combined for 1,001 total yards. The game was originally scheduled to take place in Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, Mexico, but was relocated to the Rams' home stadium, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum due to poor field conditions.
Notably, the Chiefs and Rams formerly shared an instate rivalry in Missouri when the latter played as the St. Louis Rams from 1995 to 2015. Kansas City had won all six regular season games during that era. This game was the first regular season meeting between the teams after the Rams' return to Los Angeles.
The Rams maintained control through most of the first quarter. They quickly put together a 3 minute drive, featuring a 44 yard pass to Brandin Cooks. Greg Zuerlein missed the extra point, making the score 6-0. After a punt by the Chiefs, the Rams put together another touchdown drive, including 3 consecutive passes of 10+ yards by quarterback Jared Goff. However, the Chiefs responded, getting a touchdown in just 4 plays, 3 of which were 20+ yard passes from quarterback Patrick Mahomes, including a 25 yard touchdown pass to Tyreek Hill. The Rams put together a long drive of their own, making it inside the 5 yard line, but failed to get into the endzone. A Greg Zuerlein field goal put the Rams up 16-7.
The Chiefs first drive of the quarter got them a short field goal, after failing to get into the endzone from the 1 yard line. On the following drive, Goff was sacked by Allen Bailey, who also forced a fumble and recovered it himself. The Chiefs then took a 17-16 lead on a 21-yard touchdown pass from Mahomes to Kareem Hunt to put the Chiefs up for the first time in the game. After a punt by the Rams, Mahomes was sacked by Aaron Donald, forcing a fumble. The ball was picked up by Samson Ebukam and returned 11 yards for a Rams touchdown. The Chiefs put together a quick drive and scored a touchdown with 13 seconds left in the half. Kicker Harrison Butker missed the extra point, leaving the game tied 23-23. Jared Goff knelt and sent it into halftime.
4 plays into the third quarter, Donald sacked Mahomes, forcing a second fumble. The ball was recovered by John Franklin-Myers at the 46 yard line. The Rams took advantage and drove the ball down the field. The drive ended with Goff scrambling for a 7 yard touchdown on 3rd down, giving the Rams a 30-23 lead. The Chiefs responded with a touchdown of their own, tying the game at 30. On the Chiefs next possession, Mahomes threw a pass that was too short, and it was intercepted by Ebukam, and returned 25-yards for a touchdown, swelling the lead to 10 points.
The Chiefs, down by 10, responded quickly with a 73-yard touchdown pass to Hill. Hill was also flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for gesturing at Lamarcus Joyner just before entering the endzone. On the next drive, Goff had the ball knocked out of his hands by Justin Houston. It landed in the hands of Bailey (his second fumble recovery of the game) and was returned two yards for a touchdown. This gave the Chiefs their largest lead of the game (44–40). Goff redeemed himself on the next drive, hitting passes of 27 and 36 yards to Josh Reynolds and Robert Woods, respectively. The drive concluded with a 7-yard touchdown pass to Gerald Everett, putting the Rams back on top, 47–44. After punts by both teams, the Chiefs scored a touchdown, with Mahomes passing it 10-yards to Chris Conley, leaving 2:48 left in the game. This was Mahomes' 6th touchdown pass of the game. The Rams answered, scoring a touchdown in just 58 seconds. This put the Rams up 54–51 with 1:49 left. In the Chiefs' next drive, Mahomes threw an interception to a wide open Marcus Peters. However, the Chiefs managed to get the ball back with 50 seconds remaining, using their first two timeouts. With the game on the line, Mahomes launched the ball deep, but it ended up being Mahomes' 3rd interception and 5th turnover of the game. The Rams ended the game with one kneel by Goff.
at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, California
The game was originally scheduled to take place in Estadio Azteca stadium, Mexico City, Mexico as part of the NFL International Series. The game was relocated to the Ram's home stadium, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, California. The relocation occurred because of poor field conditions due to a recent concert and number of soccer games. Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt said "[The move is] 100 percent [about] player safety..." Many players had threatened to sit out if the game wasn't relocated.
- Highest scoring Monday Night game
- First and only game in which both teams scored 50+ points
- Third highest scoring game
- First and only team to score 50+ points and lose
- Most passing TDs in Monday Night game (6)
- Career high passing yards (478)
- Second most yards in single game (215)
|Kansas City||Position||Los Angeles|
|Demetrius Harris||TE||Tyler Higbee|
|Eric Fisher||LT||Andrew Whitworth|
|Cameron Erving||LG||Rodger Saffold|
|Austin Reiter||C||John Sullivan|
|Andrew Wylie||RG||Austin Blythe|
|Mitchell Schwartz||RT||Rob Havenstein|
|Tyreek Hill||WR||Josh Reynolds|
|Travis Kelce||TE||WR||Brandin Cooks|
|Patrick Mahomes||QB||Jared Goff|
|Sammy Watkins||WR||Robert Woods|
|Kareem Hunt||RB||HB||Todd Gurley|
|Allen Bailey||LDE||DE||Michael Brockers|
|Chris Jones||RDE||NT||Ndamukong Suh|
|Orlando Scandrick||LCB||Marcus Peters|
|Steven Nelson||RCB||Troy Hill|
|Dee Ford||LOLB||DT||Aaron Donald|
|Anthony Hitchens||LILB||WILL||Dante Fowler|
|Dorian O'Daniel||RILB||ILB||Cory Littleton|
|Justin Houston||ROLB||ILB||Mark Barron|
|Kendall Fuller||NICKE||CB||Sam Shields|
|Eric Murray||S||SS||John Johnson|
|Ron Parker||S||FS||Lamarcus Joyner|
- Referee: Clete Blakeman (34)
- Line Judge: Rusty Baynes (59)
- Down Judge: Dana McKenzie (8)
- Side Judge: Brad Freeman (88)
- Umpire: Ramon George (128)
- Field Judge: Dale Shaw (104)
- Back Judge: Tony Steratore (112)
- Replay Official: Jim Lapetina (0)
- 3K (November 19, 2018). "LA Rams vs. KC Chiefs: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, channel, more". TurfShowTimes.com. SB Nation. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Kansas City Chiefs vs. Los Angeles Rams Live Score and Stats - November 19, 2018 Gametracker". CBSSports.com. CBS Sports. November 19, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Maske, Mark (November 20, 2018). "Rams-Chiefs was 'the new NFL' in its most spectacular form yet". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- McMullen, Matt (November 20, 2018). "Chiefs Fall to Rams, 54-51, on Monday Night Football". Chiefs.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Dennis, Clarence (November 22, 2018). "Seven Stats: Rams Beat Chiefs in Monday Night Thriller". TheRams.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Chiefs-Rams game moved from Mexico City to L.A." NFL.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. November 13, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "NFL moves Chiefs-Rams from Mexico City to L.A." ESPN.com. ESPN Internet Ventures, LLC. November 13, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Kansas City Chiefs vs. Los Angeles Rams Results — The Football Database". FootballDB.com. Retrieved 2019-08-20.
- "Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Rams - November 19th, 2018". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Watch: Aaron Donald forces 2 fumbles, 1 returned for TD". Rams Wire. 2018-11-20. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- "Watch: Samson Ebukam picks Patrick Mahomes, runs over QB for 2nd TD". Rams Wire. 2018-11-20. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- "Mahomes 5 turnovers loom large in Chiefs loss to Rams". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "NFL moves Chiefs-Rams game from Mexico City to Los Angeles due to poor field conditions". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- By. "Clark Hunt says reason for Chiefs-Rams relocation was '100 percent player safety'". kansascity. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- Alper, Josh (2018-11-13). "Report: Some players "seriously considering" not playing in Mexico City". ProFootballTalk. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- Peck, Joshua (2018-11-20). "Rams 54-51 Chiefs: The records incredible NFL clash broke in Los Angeles". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- EST, Dan Cancian On 11/20/18 at 3:29 AM (2018-11-20). "Patrick Mahomes breaks more NFL records as Chiefs lose classic against Rams". Newsweek. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Chiefs Fall to Rams, 54-51, on Monday Night Football". www.chiefs.com. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- "National Football League Game Summary" (PDF). NFL.com.