2020 United States Senate election in Texas
|Elections in Texas|
The 2020 United States Senate election in Texas will be held on November 3, 2020, to elect a member of the United States Senate to represent the State of Texas, concurrently with the 2020 U.S. presidential election, as well as other elections to the United States Senate in other states and elections to the United States House of Representatives and various state and local elections.
- 1 Republican primary
- 2 Democratic primary
- 3 Independent Candidates
- 4 General election
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- Michael Cooper, pastor and candidate for Lieutenant Governor in 2018
- MJ Hegar, retired United States Air Force Major and nominee for Texas's 31st congressional district in 2018
- Sema Hernandez, activist and organizer for the Poor People's Campaign, candidate for U.S. Senate in 2018
- Adrian Ocegueda, financial analyst and candidate for governor in 2018
- Colin Allred, U.S. Representative for Texas's 32nd congressional district
- Rafael Anchia, state representative
- Chris Bell, former U.S. Representative for Texas's 25th congressional district, nominee for governor in 2006, and candidate for mayor of Houston in 2015
- Amanda Edwards, Houston City Council member
- Veronica Escobar, U.S. Representative for Texas's 16th congressional district
- Lizzie Pannill Fletcher, U.S. Representative for Texas's 7th congressional district
- Sylvia Garcia, U.S. Representative for Texas's 29th congressional district
- Clay Jenkins, Dallas County Judge
- Mark Strama, former state representative and Google executive
- Royce West, state senator
- Joaquín Castro, U.S. Representative for Texas's 20th congressional district
- Julian Castro, former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (running for president)
- Wendy Davis, former state senator and nominee for governor in 2014
- Joseph Kopser, retired United States Army Lieutenant Colonel and nominee for Texas's 21st congressional district in 2018
- Sri Preston Kulkarni, former diplomat and nominee for Texas's 22nd congressional district in 2018 (running for Texas's 22nd congressional district)
- Beto O'Rourke, former U.S. Representative for Texas's 16th congressional district and nominee for U.S. Senate in 2018 (running for president)
- Kim Olson, retired Air Force Colonel and nominee for Texas Commissioner of Agriculture in 2018 (running for Texas's 24th congressional district)
|Change Research||Apr 18–22, 2019||1,578||± 2.5%||5%||43%||–||–||3%||3%||3%||3%||8%[a]||33%|
|Public Policy Polling (D)[A]||Mar 5–7, 2019||608||± 4.0%||–||42%||4%||19%||–||4%||–||–||2%[b]||29%|
- Dwayne Stovall, bridge construction contractor, school board member from Cleveland ,candidate for the State House of Representatives in 2012, and Candidate for United States Senate in 2014 as a Republican 
Candidacy announced in November of 2018 
|The Cook Political Report||Solid R||April 19, 2019|
|Sabato's Crystal Ball||Likely R||March 25, 2019|
|Inside Elections||Solid R||May 17, 2019|
- with MJ Hegar
|Emerson College||Apr 25–28, 2019||799||± 3.4%||29%||12%||16%||44%|
- Partisan clients
- Poll sponsored by Democracy Toolbox
- Poll sponsored by Courageous Conservatives PAC
- Additional candidates
- Sylvia Garcia, Clay Jenkins, and Sri Preston Kulkarni with 2%; Rafael Anchia and Lizzie Pannill Fletcher with 1%; Amanda Edwards and Mark Strama with 0%
- Sema Hernandez with 2%
- Patrick, Svitek (September 24, 2017). "John Cornyn says he's supporting Ted Cruz for re-election in 2018". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- Recio, Maria (December 7, 2018). "Cruz endorses Cornyn for 2020 Senate run". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Silver, Johnathan (December 11, 2018). "Dan Patrick endorses John Cornyn after speculation he'd challenge him". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Donald J. Trump. "Senator John Cornyn has done an outstanding job for the people of Texas. He is strong on Crime, the Border, the Second Amendment and loves our Military and Vets. John has my complete and total endorsement. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!". Twitter.
- Svitek, Patrick (March 8, 2019). "Houston City Council Member Amanda Edwards looking at Cornyn challenge". The Blast. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- Svitek, Patrick (April 23, 2019). "MJ Hegar, former congressional candidate, says she's running to challenge U.S. Sen. John Cornyn". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "Sema for Texas". Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Benson, Eric (February 5, 2019). "If Beto Runs for President, Where Does That Leave Texas?". Texas Monthly. Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- "Twenty Faces to Watch in Politics by 2020". Houston Chronicle. April 16, 2009. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- Svitek, Patrick (May 13, 2019). "Chris Bell, former Democratic congressman, may run for U.S. Senate in 2020 against Cornyn". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Livingston, Abby [@TexasTribAbby] (March 27, 2019). "As many in Texas Democratic politics say they believe Joaquin Castro will imminently announce his #TXSEN run, another name is floating as a possible primary contender: state Sen. Royce West of Dallas. It's unclear how far along in the process West is" (Tweet). Retrieved March 28, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Livingston, Abby; Svitek, Patrick (May 1, 2019). "Joaquin Castro won't challenge John Cornyn for U.S. Senate seat". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- Tracy, Abigail (May 31, 2017). "Meet the Kennedyesque Democrat Trying to Beat Ted Cruz". Vanity Fair. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Svitek, Patrick [@PatrickSvitek] (April 5, 2019). "Davis also makes clear #txsen run isn't happening: "There's a reason I made a decision not to run for this Senate seat. ... I've been very candid about the fact that my dear friend Joaquin Castro is someone that I'd like to see run" www.rousertx.com/the-rabble-pod/2019/4/4/episode-13-wendy-davis-2020-zomg-is-unwanted-hair-sniffing-ok-the-tx-house-gets-as-except-stickland-no-more-guns-on-toilets-plz …" (Tweet). Retrieved April 5, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Svitek, Patrick [@PatrickSvitek] (March 23, 2019). "New: @JosephKopser emails supporters that he won't run for office in 2020. Had been considering #TXSEN campaign or #TX21 rerun" (Tweet). Retrieved March 23, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Scherer, Jasper (April 3, 2019). "Kulkarni launches second bid for Texas' 22nd Congressional District". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Jeffers Jr., Gromer (February 27, 2019). "Sources: Beto O'Rourke won't challenge John Cornyn for Senate, paving way for presidential bid". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Drusch, Andrea (March 11, 2019). "Democrats line up for new Texas target". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved March 12, 2019.
- "VoteVets is all-in on @mjhegar for Texas! Iraq War Veteran and Chair @jonsoltz says, "Her commitment to community, to country, and to service is unrivaled, and we absolutely cannot wait to see her draw that contrast with Washington politician @JohnCornyn." #TXSen". @votevets. Twitter. April 24, 2019.
- "Badass Women". Facebook. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- . Ballotpedia. May 19, 2019 https://ballotpedia.org/Dwayne_Stovall. Missing or empty
- . The Amarillo Pioneer. November 30, 2018 https://www.amarillopioneer.com/blog/2018/11/30/stovall-announces-independent-bid-for-senate-in-2020. Missing or empty
- "2020 Senate Race ratings". The Cook Political Report. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball » 2020 Senate". crystalball.centerforpolitics.org. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "Senate Ratings | Inside Elections". insideelections.com. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- Official campaign websites