27th Army (Soviet Union)
|Active||May 1941 – 1946|
|Part of||Northwestern Front|
|Engagements||World War II|
First formed in May 1941. Initial commander was Nikolai Berzarin. Took part in Battles in the Baltic. On 22 June 1941 it consisted of the 22nd and 24th Rifle Corps, 16th and 67th Rifle Divisions, 3rd Separate Rifle Brigade, two artillery regiments, and two anti-tank regiments. It became part of Northwestern Front on the outbreak of Operation Barbarossa.
From 30 June 1941 elements of the 22nd Territorial Rifle Corps were tasked to 1 July 1941 to focus on the front of overseeding, Hills, except Porkhov. Units of the formation to make for stubborn defense front in the south-west and south. On 1 July 1941 the corps concentrated in Porkhov, overseeding, Hills, completely took up defensive positions only by 8 July 1941 at the turn of the Riverlands (45 kilometers south-east of Pskov a), Vertoguzovo (30 kilometers south-west of Porkhov a), Zhgilevo (40 kilometers north of Novorzhev a), is involved in exploration in the island a. Corps headquarters are located 3 kilometers west of the village Pazherevitsy. On 7–8 July 1941 battles took place with advanced German reconnaissance elements 9 July 1941 in the evening clash with attack from the area in the direction of Shmoilova Porkhov and from the area in the direction of Bukhara Dedovichi.
During the fighting, 9–10 July 1941 mass desertions of the 22nd Corps' Estonian personnel took place to the enemy. Among the famous defectors was the Deputy Chief of Operations, Division Staff 180th Rifle Division, Ain-Ervin Mere. 11.10 in July 1941 is fighting for Porkhov. On 10 July 1941 the 111th Motorized Division broke the defense of the 182nd Rifle Division at the station seeding and 11 July 1941 of the case finally left the city, and partly moved to the east bank of the river Shelon, where the defense took the 182nd Rifle Division - east Porkhov, 180th Rifle Division - to the south at the turn of the Red Porkhov Korchilovo, Logovino, Vyshegorod . 12 July 1941. The 182nd Rifle Division was fighting against troops of the enemy trying to break through to Dno.
On 15 August 1941 the 22nd Territorial Rifle Corps, participating in the counterattack, come from the area Parfino at Staraya Russa, to 17 August 1941 corps troops liberated most of the city, but failed to take the city completely. 20–21 August 1941 part of the body left Staraya Russa. On 22 August 1941, after the re-crossing on the eastern shore of the Lovat corpus derived from the direct control of fights, with 31 August 1941 is not listed as part of the army. 22 September 1941 the headquarters of the 22nd Territorial Rifle Corps was disbanded.
From June to October 1941 the 27th Army fought on the Dvina River, during the Staraya Russa offensive, and at Kholm and Demyansk. By 1 November 1941 the army's forces had been reduced to the 23rd and 33rd Rifle Divisions, the 613th Artillery Regiment of the Reserve of the Supreme High Command (RVGK), the 28th Tank Division, and three Battalions of engineers.
In December 1941 the first formation of the army was renamed the 4th Shock Army.
The army was formed for a second time in May 1942, within the Northwestern Front, consisting of five rifle divisions. In April 1943 it was moved into Stavka reserve. From July 1943, it participated in many famous battles, assigned to the Steppe Front, then the Voronezh Front, in the Belgorod-Kharkov operation and the Bukrina bridgehead. From October 1943, it fought in the Kiev offensive (with 1st Ukrainian Front). Thereafter, assigned to the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian Front, it was part of the Zhitomir–Berdichev Offensive, the Korsun–Shevchenkovsky Offensive, Uman-Botoshany, Iassy-Kishinev Offensive, the Battle of Debrecen, and the Vienna Offensive.
After the end of the war, it was ordered withdrawn to Romania by 20 August 1945, and concentrated in the areas of Brăila, Buzău, and Galați in eastern Romania. By November it included the 33rd (78th, 206th, and 337th Rifle Divisions) and the 37th Rifle Corps (163rd, 316th, and 320th Rifle Divisions), as well as the 35th Guards Rifle Corps (66th, 108th, and the 125th Guards Rifle Divisions). Shortly afterwards, the 27th Army was withdrawn to the Carpathian Military District. There, its headquarters was disbanded on 4 August 1946, and its three rifle corps were directly subordinated to the district headquarters.
- Major General Nikolai Berzarin (May 5, 1941 - December 25, 1941)
- Major General Fyodor Ozerov, (May 22, 1942 - January 29, 1943)
- Lieutenant General Sergei Trofimenko (January 29, 1943 - July 9, 1945), Colonel-General in September 1944
- Colonel-General Ivan Boldin (July 9, 1945 - July 5, 1946)
- "Order of Battle, 27th Army, 22 June 1941". Orbat.com. Retrieved 21 March 2010. (Leo Niehorster)
- "Combat Composition of the Soviet Army, 1 November 1941". Tashv.nm.ru. Archived from the original on 23 February 2008. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- Bonn, Keith E.; David Glantz; et al. (2005). Slaughterhouse: The Handbook of the Eastern Front. Bedford, Pennsylvania: Aberjona Press. p. 318. ISBN 0-9717650-9-X.
- Feskov et al 2013, pp. 421–422.
- Feskov et al 2013, p. 130.
- Feskov et al 2013, p. 463.
- Bonn, Keith E.; David Glantz; et al. (2005). Slaughterhouse: The Handbook of the Eastern Front. Bedford, Pennsylvania: Aberjona Press. ISBN 0-9717650-9-X.
- Feskov, V.I.; Golikov, V.I.; Kalashnikov, K.A.; Slugin, S.A. (2013). Вооруженные силы СССР после Второй Мировой войны: от Красной Армии к Советской [The Armed Forces of the USSR after World War II: From the Red Army to the Soviet: Part 1 Land Forces] (in Russian). Tomsk: Scientific and Technical Literature Publishing. ISBN 9785895035306.