29th Guards Rocket Division
It was part of the 50th Rocket Army from 1960 to 1986, and included the Plokštinė missile base, operated by the 79th Guards Missile Regiment. The division inherited its honours and awards from the disbanding 51st Guards Motor Rifle Division.
The division was established on the basis of the 85th Engineer Brigade RVGK (established in 1951 as a 54th Brigade of Special Designation RVGK) and the personnel of the 51st Guards Motor Rifle Vitebsk Division of the Order of Lenin Red, which was disbanded in accordance with the directive of the Commander of the Baltic Military District No. 006471 dated May 5, 1960.
In July 1960, RVGK engineer brigades were reformed into missile divisions, and engineering regiments became missile regiments.
On October 17, 1961, the 29th RD was given the fighting banner of the 51st Guards Rifle Division, and the division received the name "29th Guards Missile Vitebsk Division of the Order of the Red Banner of Lenin."
Date of the annual holiday - July 1 (last day of the formation of 54th Brigade Special Purpose RVGK in 1952).
On 1 February 1986, a Directive No. 432/3/00846 RVSN Commander of 3 December 1985, the division moved to Irkutsk, in the 53rd Rocket Army, comprising five missile regiments equipped with the 15P653 "Pioneer UTTH" MRBM. However, in connection with the INF Treaty between the USSR and the U.S., these missiles were not placed on alert. In May 1988, for duty in the division atonement first missile regiment with RT-2PM Topol intercontinental ballistic missiles.
On September 16, 2002, after the dissolution of the 53rd Rocket Army, the division was transferred into the 33rd Guards Rocket Army.
- Michael Holm, 29th Guards Missile Division, accessed January 2013.