29th Rifle Corps
This article has an unclear citation style.June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|29th Rifle Corps|
|Active||1st formation: August 1940–September 1941
2nd formation: March 1943-April 19433rd formation: July 1943–October 1957
|Branch||Soviet Red Army|
The 29th Rifle Corps can refer to multiple different corps of the Soviet Red Army, each of which primarily saw combat on the Eastern Front during World War II. The first formation of the 29th Rifle Corps was known as the 29th Lithuanian Territorial Rifle Corps, composed of troops of the former Lithuanian army, active from the Soviet Union's annexation of Lithuania in August 1940 until September 1941. A second formation existed from March to April 1943, and a third formation was formed in June 1943. This third formation would continue to exist until May 1945.
First formation - Territorial Rifle Corps
The 29th Lithuanian Territorial Rifle Corps was formed in accordance with an order of the People's Commissar of Defence of 17 August 1940, from the troops of the Lithuanian Army following the forced annexation of that country to the Soviet Union. The personnel of the corps wore Lithuanian Army uniforms with Red Army symbols sewn on. The corps headquarters was located in Vilnius, including the 179th and 184th Rifle Divisions, under the command of Lieutenant General Vincas Vitkauskas, the former commander of the Lithuanian Army. Major General Alexander Samokhin replaced Vitkauskas on 3 June 1941.
On June 22, 1941, the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa, began. On July 17, 1941, the corps headquarters departed for Velikiye Luki. From July 17, 1941, the formation of the corps was carried out together with the 48th Tank Division in the Velikiye Luki area, which was occupied by the German 19th Panzer Division. On July 21, 1941 the corps appears to have seized Velikiye Luki, and conduct its defense until August 25, 1941, when the city was again abandoned. On August 20-21, 1941, units of the corps went over to the offensive, and began penetrating into the enemy's defence, but they themselves were entrapped, and withdrew by the end of August 1941.
On September 1, 1941, the corps headquarters was withdrawn from the fighting, and on September 23, 1941 it was disbanded.
Second formation existed March–April 1943.
The third formation of the 29th Rifle Corps comprised the 73rd Rifle Division, 102nd Rifle Division, and 217th Rifle Division on 10 May 1945. Five months later, the corps had the same three divisions, but they were in the North Caucasus Military District. The 73rd was based at Novorossiysk, the 102nd at Armavir and the 217th at Nalchik.
In May 1946, the corps was reorganized under a peacetime structure, with its divisions being reduced to the 8th, 9th and 39th Separate Rifle Brigades. The 8th was based at Maykop, the 9th at Armavir and the 39th at Stavropol. In March 1947, the 9th Separate Rifle Brigade was disbanded. On 23 July 1949, the corps became the 29th Mountain Rifle Corps. The 8th Separate Rifle Brigade became the 9th Mountain Rifle Division and the 39th became the 73rd Mountain Rifle Division. In 1954, the corps was redesignated as a regular rifle corps again.
On 10 October 1957, the 29th Rifle Corps became the 29th Army Corps. The 9th and 73rd Mountain Rifle Divisions became motor rifle divisions. In 1960, the 29th Army Corps was at Krasnodar and had the 9th and 73rd Motor Rifle Divisions. In 1966 it moved to Belogorsk in Amur Oblast. On 22 February 1968, 29th Army Corps was awarded the Order of the Red Banner.
On 25 June 1969 the 29th Army Corps became the 35th Army.
- Nigel Thomas, Germany's Eastern Front Allies (2): Baltic Forces, Osprey, 5.
- David Glantz, Stumbling Colossus: The Red Army on the Eve of World War (1998), pg. 262. ISBN 0-7006-0879-6
- Čapenko 2007, p. 361
- Main Personnel Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of the Soviet Union 1964, p. 18.
- Keith E. Bonn, Slaughterhouse, Aberjona Press, 2005, 341.
- Crofoot, Avanzini, Armies of the Bear
- Holm, 35th Combined Arms Army
- Čapenko, Aleksandr (2007). "Lietuvos liaudies armijos reorganizavimo į 29-ąjį teritorinį Raudonosios armijos šaulių pulko istorija 1940-1941 m." Karo archyvas (in Lithuanian). 22. ISSN 1392-6489.
- Main Personnel Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of the Soviet Union (1964). Командование корпусного и дивизионного звена советских вооруженных сил периода Великой Отечественной войны 1941–1945 гг [Commanders of Corps and Divisions in the Great Patriotic War, 1941–1945] (in Russian). Moscow: Frunze Military Academy.