54th Golden Globe Awards
|54th Golden Globe Awards|
|Date||January 19, 1997|
|Best Film: Drama||The English Patient|
|Best Film: Musical or Comedy||Evita|
|Best Drama Series||The X-Files|
|Best Musical or Comedy Series||3rd Rock from the Sun|
The 54th Golden Globe Awards, honoring the best in film and television for 1996, were held on January 19, 1997 at the Beverly Hilton. The nominations were announced on December 19, 1996.
Winners and nominees
|Best Motion Picture|
|Drama||Musical or Comedy|
|The English Patient||Evita|
|Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama|
|Geoffrey Rush – Shine||Brenda Blethyn – Secrets & Lies|
|Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy|
|Tom Cruise – Jerry Maguire||Madonna – Evita|
|Best Supporting Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama, Musical or Comedy|
|Supporting Actor||Supporting Actress|
|Edward Norton – Primal Fear||Lauren Bacall – The Mirror Has Two Faces|
|Best Director||Best Screenplay|
|Miloš Forman – The People vs. Larry Flynt||The People vs. Larry Flynt – Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski|
|Best Original Score||Best Original Song|
|Gabriel Yared – The English Patient||"You Must Love Me" by Madonna – Evita|
|Best Foreign Language Film|
|Kolya (Kolja) • Czech Republic|
|Best Television Series|
|Best Series - Drama||Best Series - Comedy or Musical|
|The X-Files||3rd Rock from the Sun|
|Best Lead Actor in a Television Series|
|Best Actor - Drama Series||Best Actor - Comedy or Musical Series|
|David Duchovny – The X-Files||John Lithgow – 3rd Rock from the Sun|
|Best Lead Actress in a Television Series|
|Best Actress - Drama Series||Best Actress - Comedy or Musical Series|
|Gillian Anderson – The X-Files||Helen Hunt – Mad About You|
|Best Supporting Performance - Series, Miniseries or Television Film|
|Best Supporting Actor - Series, Miniseries or Television Film||Best Supporting Actress - Series, Miniseries or Television Film|
|Ian McKellen – Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny||Kathy Bates – The Late Shift|
|Best Actor - Miniseries or Television Film||Best Actress - Miniseries or Television Film|
|Alan Rickman – Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny||Helen Mirren – Losing Chase|
|Best Miniseries or Television Film|
|Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny|
The following 2 films received multiple wins:
|2||The English Patient|
The following 3 series received multiple wins:
|2||3rd Rock from the Sun|
|2||Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny|
- 69th Academy Awards
- 17th Golden Raspberry Awards
- 3rd Screen Actors Guild Awards
- 48th Primetime Emmy Awards
- 49th Primetime Emmy Awards
- 50th British Academy Film Awards
- 51st Tony Awards
- 1996 in film
- 1996 in American television
- Sterngold, James (20 January 1997). "Madonna in Film and Aliens on TV Are Big Winners at Golden Globes". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Golden Globes for 'English Patient' and Madonna". The New York Times. 21 January 1997. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Lowry, Brian; Puig, Claudia (20 January 1997). "'Evita,' 'Patient' Win Top Golden Globes". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "'English Patient,' `Evita,' Madonna, Tom Cruise and `X-Files' big Golden Globe winners". The Augusta Chronicle. 20 January 1997. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Puig, Claudia; Dutka, Elaine (20 December 1996). "'English Patient' Basks in Globe Nominations". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Elber, Lynn (20 December 1996). "'English Patient' gets 7 Globe nominations". Deseret News. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Golden Globe Nominations". Variety. 19 December 1996. Retrieved 11 January 2018.