5th Armored Division (France)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|5e Division Blindée|
|Active||9 July 1943 – 15 May 1962 |
1978 – 30 June 1992
|Engagements||World War II |
Christian de Castries
The 5th Armored Division (French: 5e Division Blindée, 5e DB) was an armored division of the French Army that fought in World War II and the Algerian War. It was also active in Germany during the Cold War.
World War II
The division was formed on 1 May 1943 under the command of General de Vernejoul. It was initially the 2nd Armored Division, but renamed the 5th Armored Division on 9 July.
The division left Germany for Algeria on 1 April 1956, but left some units in Palatinate, Germany.
In 1961 the division comprised:
- 1st Armored Regiment
- 6th African Chasseur Regiment
- 11th African Chasseur Regiment
- 19th Chasseur Battalion
- 20th Chasseur Battalion
- 21st Algerian Rifles Regiment
- 1st/64th Artillery Regiment
- 2nd/64th Artillery Regiment
Return to Germany
The division was recreated in 1978 at Landau, Germany as a part of the 2nd Army Corps (Baden-Baden). The French Army in Germany was drastically reduced after the end of the Cold War; the 5th was dissolved on 31 June 1992.
- Kanger, Kim "Algerian Insurgency: End of the French Empire", in Strategy & Tactics, No. 262 (May/June 2010)