This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Pharmaceuticals and healthcare|
|Predecessor||Amalgamated Anthracite Holdings Limited|
|Founded||29 June 1923|
|Headquarters||Coventry, England, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
(Group Managing Director)
AAH is a pharmaceutical wholesaler in the United Kingdom. Originally formed in 1892 as a company selling solid fuels in South Wales, it was floated on the stock exchange in 1923. It diversified into pharmaceuticals in the 1970s, and since 1995 it has been a subsidiary of the German company Celesio AG.
AAH originated in 1892, when Cleeves Company was formed in Wales, owning about 7,000 acres of land. It merged with two local companies, Gurnos and Gellveeidrim, to form Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited.
The Chairman of the company was Alfred Mond, 1st Baron Melchett and it was floated on the Stock Exchange on 29 June 1923. The registered office was 29/30 King Street, Cheapside, London. Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited held its first company meeting on 5 September 23 at the Cannon Street Hotel. On 1 July 1927, the company merged with United Anthracite Collieries Limited to become known as A.A.C Anthracite, based at 120 Fenchurch Street.
AAH's original business was producing and distributing anthracite and other solid fuels across South Wales. The company later diversified its interests in different markets including health services, building materials, transport, warehousing and environmental services (landscape conservation and waste disposal). In 1954, it was agreed to change the company name to Amalgamated Anthracite Holdings Limited (AAH). In early 1971 the company abbreviated its name to AAH Limited.
In 1976, AAH sold off its interests in fuel and building materials. Healthcare services became the company's main business activity. AAH expanded its pharmaceutical interest by taking over a large number of businesses including Chemists Holding and Hills Pharmaceuticals.
AAH Limited became a constituent company of AAH Holdings in 1981, based in London. In 1985 the headquarters of AAH Holdings plc moved to the south of Lincoln. By the late 1980s, when based in Lincoln, the holding company was turning over £1 billion.
In 1985 AAH acquired pharmaceutical wholesaler Vestric Limited from Glaxo P.L.C., which continued the company's growth and led to the formation of AAH Pharmaceuticals Limited.
The company was bought by Celesio AG in 1995 (formerly GEHE AG,) and the headquarters moved to Manor Park in Runcorn, north Cheshire. In 1999 the headquarters moved to Coventry, where it remains as of 2012.
The AAH group has several branches. The Enterprise branch sells health and beauty products to over 5000 independent pharmacies in the UK. The Trident branch is a shortline supplier to independent pharmacies in the UK. Wilkinson Healthcare provides independent pharmacies with surgical services. Dextrous provides logistical services to manufacturers.
The head office is situated off the A4600 (former A46) south of junction 2 (M69) of the M6 in the north of Coventry on the Coventry Walsgrave Triangle.
- Celesio UK
- Documents and clippings about AAH Pharmaceuticals in the 20th Century Press Archives of the ZBW