ABC Owned Television Stations
|Predecessor||CC/ABC Broadcasting Group|
New York, New York,
Number of locations
|Wendy McMahon (President)|
|Parent||Walt Disney Television|
(Disney Media Networks)
|Divisions||Live Well Network|
|Subsidiaries||ABC National Television Sales|
ABC Owned Television Stations is a division of Walt Disney Television that oversees the owned-and-operated stations of the American Broadcasting Company, a division of The Walt Disney Company. The division consists of eight stations plus ABC National Television Sales and the Live Well Network.
The ABC Network's first TV station signed on August 10, 1948, as WJZ-TV, the first of three television stations signed on by ABC during that same year, with WENR-TV in Chicago and WXYZ-TV in Detroit being the other two. KGO-TV in San Francisco and KECA in Los Angeles, signed on during the next 13 months after WJZ.
The ABC Owned TV Stations (ABCOTS) were paired with ABC Radio Network and eight TV stations in CC/ABC Broadcasting Group in Capital Cities/ABC (CC/ABC) when CC/ABC was purchased by The Walt Disney Company in 1996. In June, ABC top marketing officer announced the O&O stations would adopt a "one-channel" marketing strategy where the stations would for promotional purposes drop call letter for ABC and channel number as the marketer had this adopted at NBC before.
ABC News Now was launched in 2004 in the US on digital subchannel of 70 ABC owned & operated and affiliates. The Live Well Network (LWN) was launched on April 27, 2009 in high definition by ABC's owned-and-operated stations on the stations' subchannels.
On November 3, 2010, Broadcasting & Cable magazine announced that SJL Broadcasting, now owned by the principal owners of Lilly Broadcasting, made an agreement with Disney to buy back WJRT-TV and WTVG, the two smallest stations in ABC's O&O portfolio. The sale was completed on April 1, 2011. On October 17, 2013, the New York Post reported that Disney considered sell the station group given the current wave of consolidation between station holding companies that has increased station values since 2010. On October 25, the Triangle Business Journal reported that multiple Disney spokespeople denied that information.
On June 9, 2014, LWN vice president Peggy Allen and ABC Owned Television Stations president Rebecca Campbell jointly announced to Live Well Network's staff that they planned to shut down the network in January 2015. Campbell and Allen stated that despite the success of the network, the division wanted to prioritize "local content" and its "core local news brands". Many of the shows from ABC's stations are expected to end production with a possibility to be picked up by fyi cable network, a DATG partial owned A&E Networks cable channel. On January 15, 2015, ABCOTS announced a pickup of Katz Broadcasting's new subchannel Laff, including the DT3 subchannels of the ABC O&O stations, as of April 15, 2015; within that announcement, ABCOTS stated that Live Well Network would continue on their eight stations on their DT2 subchannels in HD, but no longer be distributed outside of ABC O&O stations. ABCOTS also indicated that its stations' 3rd subchannel would affiliated with Laff network upon launch on April 15, 2015, but until then LWN would run on both subchannels.
Campbell, president of ABC Daytime and ABC Owned Television Stations, was named President of Disney EMEA in September 2017. Wendy McMahon, the stations' senior VP of digital, was named station group president effective January 1, 2018.
- ABC National Television Sales, Inc.
- ABC Regional Sports & Entertainment Sales
- Live Well Network
List of stations
Stations are arranged in alphabetical order by state and city of license.
- (**) - indicate a station built and signed on by ABC.
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel
|Owned since||Owned by at merger|
|Fresno, CA||KFSN-TV||30 (30)||1986||CapCities|
|Los Angeles||KABC-TV **||7 (7)||1949||ABC|
|San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose||KGO-TV **||7 (7)||1949||ABC|
|Chicago||WLS-TV **||7 (44)||1948||ABC|
|New York City||WABC-TV **||7 (7)||1948||ABC|
|Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, NC||WTVD||11 (11)||1986||CapCities|
Former ABC-owned stations
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel
|Years owned||Current ownership status|
|Detroit||WXYZ-TV **||7 (41)||1948–1986||ABC affiliate owned by E. W. Scripps Company|
|Flint, MI||WJRT-TV||12 (12)||1995–2011||ABC affiliate owned by Gray Television|
|Toledo, OH||WTVG||13 (13)||1995–2011||ABC affiliate owned by Gray Television|
Evolution of ABC O&O stations
- "WJZ-TV starts; elaborate inaugural program."[permanent dead link] Broadcasting - Telecasting, August 16, 1948, pg. 23.
- Kleinfield, N.R. "ABC is being sold for $3.5 billion; 1st network sale." The New York Times, March 19, 1985.
- "Capcities + ABC."[permanent dead link] Broadcasting, March 25, 1985, pp. 31-32[permanent dead link].
- FabrWilmette, ILnt, Geraldine. The Media Business;Disney and ABC Shareholders Solidly Approve Merger Deal January 05, 1996. The New York Times. Accessed July 8, 2013.
- "Fact Sheet: The Walt Disney Company". Press Release. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- McClellan, Steve and Chris McDonnell. Cohen: One channel, one network. June 10, 1996. Broadcasting & Cable.
- "ABC News banks on digital, despite small audiences today". USA Today. AP. September 4, 2004. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- ABC O&Os Launch Digital Network, Broadcasting & Cable, April 27, 2009
- ABC Multicasts Live Well HD Channel Archived 2009-10-30 at the Wayback Machine, Mediaweek, October 25, 2009
- Grego, Melissa (November 3, 2010). "Exclusive: Disney to Sell Two Stations". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Exclusive: New GMs For Former ABC O&Os in Flint, Toledo Broadcasting & Cable. March 31, 2011.
- Atkinson, Claire. (October 17, 2013) Disney once again considering sale of local TV stations. NY Post. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Ohnesorge, Lauren. (October 25, 2013) Disney denies it's selling broadcast business, WTVD. Triangle Business Journal. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Downey, Kevin (June 9, 2014). "No Life Left In Live Well Network". TV News Check. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Block, Alex (June 9, 2014). "Live Well Network's Demise Follows Advertiser Resistance, CBS Plans (Analysis)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Malone, Michael (June 9, 2014). "ABC to Discontinue Live Well Network". Broadcasting & Cable. NewBay Media, LLC. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Lazare, Lewis (June 9, 2014). "ABC to shutter Live Well Network founded in Chicago". Chicago Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Littleton, Cynthia (18 January 2015). "ABC Sticks with Live Well Digital Channel, Adds Comedy Net". Variety. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Lafayette, Jon (January 18, 2015). "Exclusive: Comedy Multicast Net Launching on ABC, Scripps". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (September 21, 2017). "Disney Intl Names Rebecca Campbell President For Europe, Middle East & Africa". Deadline. Penske Business Media. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- Staff, Variety (December 7, 2017). "Wendy McMahon Named President of ABC Owned Television Stations". Variety. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- On November 4, 2010 ABC announced the sale of WJRT-TV and WTVG to previous owner SJL Broadcasting. The sale was completed April 1, 2011. ()