APEC Vietnam 2017
|APEC Vietnam 2017|
APEC Vietnam 2017 delegates
APEC Vietnam 2017 (Vietnamese: APEC Việt Nam 2017) was the year-long hosting of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings in Vietnam, which culminated with the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in Đà Nẵng, hosted at InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort. It marked the second time Vietnam played host to the APEC, having hosted the event previously in 2006.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the National Committee for APEC 2017 through the Agency for Fine Arts, Photography and Exhibition organized a logo design contest for the APEC Vietnam 2017 summit. The contest ran from March to April 4, 2016 and was open to both amateur and professional Vietnamese artists. The organizers of the logo design contests required the entries to feature the phrase "APEC Vietnam 2017", highlight Vietnamese culture, as well as to represent the five components of the 2017 summit which are dynamism, creativity, action, unity, and movement to the future. 234 submissions from 92 candidates residing in 20 provinces and cities across Vietnam for the competition were received by the ministry.
The winning logo design was announced in January 2017. The selected design was conceptualized by a group working for Mark&B Vietnam, a branding agency. The winning logo depicts stylised images of paddles and Lạc birds, a common motif on drums of the ancient Đông Sơn culture. The placement of the elements suggest a circular movement which is meant to represent a "dynamic APEC".
A Round Table Meeting with the theme, "Stronger Joint Action for APEC's Shared Vision", was held in Hanoi in December 17, 2015 by the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs to discuss preparation efforts for the 2017 APEC Summit.
The People’s Committee of Đà Nẵng, the host city of the Economic Leader's Meeting, approved a project to upgrade major roads in the city for the occasion. The project covered 34 streets in the city, with an estimated cost of around ₫243 billion or US$10.9 million. The Da Nang International Airport was also scheduled for completion in March.
During the 4th National Committee for APEC 2017 in April 13, 2016 in Hanoi, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam Pham Binh Minh directed ministries and agencies to coordinate with other APEC member states especially Peru and Papua New Guinea, the hosts of the 2016 and 2018 summits respectively.
Economic Leaders' Meeting
This was the first APEC meeting for United States President Donald Trump, South Korean President Moon Jae-in, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam, and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, since their inaugurations on 20 January 2017, 10 May 2017, 1 July 2017 and 26 October 2017, respectively. It was also the last APEC meeting for Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, and for the host, Vietnamese President Trần Đại Quang, following the 2017 Chilean general election, Kuczynski's resignation, the 2018 Malaysian general election, the 2018 Australian leadership spill, the 2018 Mexican general election and Trần's death, respectively.
- "Venues". APEC Viet Nam 2017. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Theme". APEC Viet Nam 2017. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Chủ đề" [Theme]. APEC Việt Nam 2017 (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Deputy PM requests quicker preparations for APEC 2017". Vietnam Net. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Ariyana Convention Centre Danang". Việt Nam News. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- "Viet Nam prepares for APEC forum 2017". Việt Nam News. 17 December 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Vietnam organizes contest to select logo for APEC 2017". Tuoi Tre News. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "Official APEC 2017 logo selected". The Voice of Vietnam. Vietnam News Agency. 16 January 2017. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Vietnam's Da Nang to upgrade streets in preparation for 2017 APEC". Tuoi Tre News. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Hong Kong joined APEC in 1991 during British administration with the name "Hong Kong." In 1997, Hong Kong became a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China and took the name "Hong Kong, China."
- Due to the complexities of the relations between it and the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (ROC or "Taiwan") is not represented under its official name "Republic of China" or as "Taiwan". Instead, it participates in APEC under the name "Chinese Taipei". The President of the Republic of China does not attend the annual APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in person. Instead, it is generally represented by a ministerial-level official responsible for economic affairs or someone designated by the president. See List of Chinese Taipei Representatives to APEC.
APEC Peru 2016
| APEC meetings
APEC Papua New Guinea 2018