Abbey Street (Irish: Sráid na Mainistreach) is located on Dublin's Northside, running from the Customs House and Store Street in the east to Capel Street in the west. The street is served by two Luas light rail stops, one at the Jervis shopping centre and the other near O'Connell Street.
The former base of the Irish Independent newspaper, 'Independent House,' is located on Middle Abbey Street, although the offices have since moved to nearby Talbot Street. The Royal Hibernian Academy used to be located in Lower Abbey Street but was destroyed in 1916. In 1900, Maud Gonne founded Inghinidhe na hÉireann (The Daughters of Erin) at 32 Lower Abbey Street.
The historic Wynn's Hotel is located on Abbey Street.
In 1785, James Napper Tandy stayed at 180 Abbey St. before eventually fleeing to the United States. George Frideric Handel stayed in Abbey Street while in Dublin producing Messiah at Fishamble Street in 1742.
Retail & services
Notable establishments include:
- Arnotts department store, although its main entrance is on Henry St.
- The Jervis shopping centre is as of 2008 the largest shopping centre in the city centre.
- The Academy music venue, formerly Spirit night club, 57 Middle Abbey Street.
- Abbey Street Methodist Church where Australian politician, William McMillan lived in his youth.
- The National Lottery offices are on Lower Abbey Street, opposite the Peacock Theatre.
|Preceding station||Luas||Following station|
towards Connolly or The Point
towards Tallaght or Saggart
- Peter M. Gunnar (1995). Good Iron Mac: The Life of Australian Federation Father Sir William McMillan, K.C.M.G. Federation Press. pp. 2–. ISBN 978-1-86287-176-2. Retrieved 25 May 2013.