Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani
Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani
Arabic: عبد اللطيف بن راشد الزياني
|Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council|
|Assumed office |
1 April 2011
|Preceded by||Abdul Rahman bin Hamad Al Attiyah|
|Born||Muharraq, Kingdom of Bahrain|
|Alma mater||Royal Military Academy Sandhurst|
|Occupation||Military officer; University professor|
|Branch/service||Royal Bahraini Army|
|Years of service||1973 – 2010|
Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani (Arabic: عبد اللطيف بن راشد الزياني, English pronunciation (help·info)) is a Bahraini engineer and retired lieutenant general. He has been the secretary general of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) since 1 April 2011. He is the fifth GCC secretary general and the first with military background since the GCC established.
Early life and education
Zayani was born in Muharraq, Kingdom of Bahrain. He graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the United Kingdom. He is also a graduate of the aeronautical engineering program, Perth Scotland (1978). He received a master's degree in logistics management from the Air Force Institute of Technology in Dayton, Ohio, in 1980. He also received a PhD in operations research from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California in 1986. He attended command and general staff courses in Fort Leavenworth Kansas in 1988 and received the sword of honor along with the title of Master Logistician from the US Army. Later, he attended leaders in development program at Harvard University in 2008.
Zayani had work experience in Bahraini defence forces, in ministerial posts as well as in university. He became a commissioned officer in the Bahrain Defence Force in 1973. His career at the Bahraini defence forces ended on 2 June 2004. Then he began to serve as the chief of public security as a major general at interior ministry in 2004. He promoted to the rank of lieutenant general in 2010. Next, he was appointed adviser to the minister of foreign affairs in the rank of minister on 10 June 2010. He also worked as a lecturer at Arabian Gulf University, and as mathematics and statistics professor at the University of Maryland in Bahrain, and as a quantitative methods professor at the University of Bahrain.
On 1 April 2011, Zayani was appointed secretary general of the Gulf Cooperation Council. Initially, Bahrain nominated another candidate, Mohammed bin Ibrahim Al Mutawa, for the post. However, due to Qatar's strong objection to him, Zayani was later nominated by Bahrain for the post in May 2010. Zayani replaced Abdul Rahman Al Atiyyah in the post.
- "People". GULF Research Center. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Dr Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani takes over as GCC secretary general". Bahrain News Agency. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "CV of Zayani" (PDF). European Parliament. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Speaker Bio". CEMC. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Bahrain to host top security forum". Trade Arabia. Manama. 2 July 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "HRH prince Salman receives Zayani". Bahrain News Agency. 21 June 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Saudi Arabia to mediate in Bahrain-Qatar row". Al Arabiya. Riyadh. Reuters. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Toumi, Habib (2 November 2010). "Bahrain announces new government". Gulf News. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Bahrain names Al Zayani as next GCC chief". Gulf News. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Al Zayani is nominated as GCC secretary-general". Gulf Daily News. Manama. 29 May 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Qatar to nominate diplomat for Arab League chief". Daily News Egypt. Cairo. 4 April 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2013.