|• Mayor||Mehmet Fazıl Türk (BDP)|
|• Kaymakam||Bekir Atmaca|
Akdeniz is a municipality and district governorate in Greater Mersin, Turkey. Mersin is one of the 30 Metropolitan centers in Turkey with more than one municipality within city borders. Now in Mersin there are four second-level municipalities in addition to Greater Mersin (büyükşehir) municipality.
Mersin was declared metropolitan centre in 1993. In the first phase the city was divided into three parts. The municipality of Akdeniz was established in 1993 as a secondary level municipality and the corresponding district governorate was established in 2008.
Akdeniz compose the centre and east of Greater Mersin at about Toroslar is in the north and Yenişehir is in the west of Akdeniz. The south is bounded by the Mediterranean Sea and the west is bounded by Müftü River.. Among the other second level municipalities
According to 2011 figures the population of Akdeniz was 275,206 as of 2012. (138,631 male and 136,575 female citizens.)  as of 2012.
Most of government offices as well as the seats of Mersin governor and the mayor of Greater Mersin are in Akdeniz. Akdeniz also hosts most of the business quarters of the city. Mersin railway station, harbor, free port and maritime authority, as well as, shipping and customs agencies are in Akdeniz. The port of Mersin is the biggest in Turkey. It is especially used for export. In the port area there is a 100,000 tonnes grain silo and a fertiliser factory. East of Akdeniz is industrial region, with a petroleum refinery and factories of glass, cement, ferrochrome and soda.
There are 8 villages in the rural area of Akdeniz. The total population of the district is (urban and rural) 281,157 
References and notes
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "T.C. Akdeniz Belediyesi Resmi İnternet Sitesi". Archived from the original on 2010-03-24. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Turkstat". Turkish Statistical Institute. Archived from the original on February 6, 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-04-17. Retrieved 2010-04-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Media related to Akdeniz, Mersin at Wikimedia Commons