Ayers with the Colts in 2016
|Born:||July 10, 1989|
Los Angeles, California
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||247 lb (112 kg)|
|High school:||Los Angeles (CA) Verbum Dei|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 2 / Pick: 39|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Akeem Christopher Ayers (born July 10, 1989) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He played college football at UCLA and was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He has also played for the St. Louis Rams, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, and won Super Bowl XLIX with the New England Patriots.
High school career
Ayers played for UCLA in college. Ayers is known for his athletic interceptions for touchdowns, one in the 2009 season against Oregon and one against Temple in the 2009 EagleBank Bowl. The latter was the game-winning score of the bowl game and helped him earn MVP honors. In a post-game interview, he admitted that he slipped, and was just trying to rush the passer on his game-changing play. As he got up, he saw the quarterback looking to pass, jumped up, and pulled in the pass for an interception and score.
On September 18, 2010, Ayers had a key interception against #23 Houston in UCLA's first win against a ranked opponent since 2008. The following week on September 25, he played a key role in the Bruins' second upset against a ranked opponent in a victory over No. 7 ranked Texas Longhorns 34–12 in front of more 101,000 fans in Austin, Texas. Ayers had a key interception, seven tackles, a forced fumble, and a sack. He was named Lott IMPACT Player of the Week on September 27. At the end of the 2010 season, his junior year, he entered for the NFL draft.
|Year||Total Tackles||Solo Tackles||Sacks||Tackles for Loss||Interceptions||DefTD|
*Had two interceptions for touchdown and one fumble recovery for touchdown
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 1⁄2 in
|4.70 s||1.62 s||2.83 s||4.28 s||7.19 s||34 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 5 in
|All values from UCLA Pro Day|
New England Patriots
On October 21, 2014, the Titans traded Ayers along with a seventh round draft pick in the 2015 NFL Draft to the New England Patriots for a sixth round draft choice. In each of his first two games with New England, Ayers recorded a sack.
St. Louis Rams
New York Giants
- "UCLA-Houston Game Notes". September 18, 2010. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
- "Akeen Ayers". nfl.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2014.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "2011 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Tennessee Titans select Akeem Ayers
- Patra, Kevin (October 21, 2014). "Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots". NFL.com. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Former Patriot Akeem Ayers Signs Two-Year Contract With Rams
- "Rams Make 53-Man Roster Decisions". TheRams.com. September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on August 31, 2017.
- "Veteran Linebacker Akeem Ayers Joins Colts". Archived from the original on September 9, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Walker, Andrew (September 2, 2017). "Colts Announce Final 2017 Roster Cuts". Colts.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2017. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (November 14, 2017). "Giants roster moves: Keenan Robinson placed on IR; Three players signed". Giants.com. Archived from the original on November 17, 2017. Retrieved November 15, 2017.