|Member of the New York State Senate|
from the 34th district
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2019
|Preceded by||Jeff Klein|
|Born||Mount Vernon, New York, U.S.|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||New York University (BA)|
Fordham School of Law (JD)
Alessandra Biaggi (born c. 1986) is an American politician in New York City. A member of the Democratic Party, she is Senator for the 34th District of the New York State Senate, which includes portions of Bronx and Westchester Counties.
Early life and education
Biaggi was born in Mount Vernon, New York. She is the granddaughter of late congressman Mario Biaggi. Biaggi graduated from Pelham Memorial High School, New York University, and Fordham Law School, where she was a member of the Fordham Law Review. In 2014, she attended the Women's Campaign School at Yale University.
Biaggi interned in the offices of Congressman Joseph Crowley, the Kings County District Attorney, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and worked as Assistant General Counsel for Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Office of Storm Recovery. She most recently served as counsel in Governor Cuomo's Counsels Office, and as a member of the Governor’s executive clemency team.
During the 2016 presidential election, Biaggi served as Deputy National Operations Director for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Following the election, she worked on various advocacy and voter engagement measures, including creating a document called the Take Action Guide for Activism.
New York State Senate
On January 24, 2018, Biaggi announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination for New York State Senate in District 34 against incumbent Jeffrey D. Klein, the leader of the Independent Democratic Conference. Biaggi defeated Klein in what amounted to a major upset. On November 6, Biaggi was elected to the New York State Senate.
With Democrats winning the majority in 2018, Biaggi is serving as Chair of Committee on Ethics and Internal Governance.
- "Insurgent candidate learned politics at the family table". Riverdale Press. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- "Rituals of Democracy - Alessandra Biaggi: Guide". sites.google.com. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Pelhamite Alessandra Biaggi Challenging State Sen. Jeff Klein for Democratic Nomination". The Pelham Plus. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- "Alessandra Biaggi defeats Bronx Sen. Jeff Klein in NY primary". pix11. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Lombardo, D. September 13, 2018. "Former IDC senators struggling to retain Democratic support". times union (Albany). Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Alessandra Biaggi victory in state Senate race puts 'nail in the IDC coffin'". Rockland/Westchester Journal News. Retrieved November 7, 2018.