All Out of Love (musical)
|All Out of Love: The Musical|
Official poster featuring the main cast
|Setting||1980s New York City|
|Premiere||October 18, 2018Newport Performing Arts Theater, Manila, Philippines:|
All Out of Love: The Musical is a jukebox musical based on the songs of Australian pop band Air Supply. The musical was created by producers Naomi Toohey and Dale Harrison. The musical made its world premiere at Resorts World Manila's Newport Performing Arts Theater in Manila, Philippines on October 18, 2018. It was scheduled to run until October 28, 2018, but it was given an extended run until November 10, 2018.
All Out of Love is written by Canadian playwright Jim Millan and directed by Jacinta John and Darren Yap. Stephen Amos serves as the music supervisor while Yvette Lee is the musical's choreographer. The musical is produced by Naomi Toohey, Dale Harrison, and Barry Siegel. The Philippines was chosen to host the musical's world premiere due to the country being one of the largest markets for Air Supply's music.
When asked about the concept of his band's songs being made into a musical, Graham Russell said, "It was great. I think it’s overdue. I think it should have happened a long time ago. It’s really nice to see and exciting for it to be happening first in Manila. It’s like our gift here to all the fans here in the Philippines. To begin here, the journey has now begun." Russell also wrote a new song titled "I Was in Love with You" exclusively for the musical.
In 1980s New York City, Jamie Crimson, a rock star at the peak of his career, is about to embark on a world tour to promote his second album when he suffers an emotional breakdown from having to split from his girlfriend Rayne. This breakdown causes a rift between him and his producer, Tommy King, to the point where he threatens to leave the music industry. Tommy's daughter Stacie, fresh out of graduating from Harvard Business School, decides to save Jamie's career and love life by helping him reunite with Rayne. Meanwhile, rival producer Kurt Swinghammer decides to take advantage of Tommy's stress disorder by proposing to buy out his record label.
|Jamie Crimson||Mig Ayesa|
|Stacie King||Tanya Manalang|
|Tommy King||Raymund Concepcion|
|Kurt Swinghammer||Jaime Wilson|
|Larson Bailey/Neighbor||Ariel Reonal|
|Dog Walker/Kurt Swinghammer cover||Jun Manuel Tuason|
|Crazy Fan/Stacie King cover||Helene Enriquez|
|Ensemble/Jamie Crimson cover||Carlos Canlas|
|Ensemble/Rayne cover||Gold Villar Lim|
|Ensemble/Tommy King cover||Juliene Mendoza|
|Ensemble||Hazel Grace Maranan|
|Ensemble/Dance Captain||Stephen Viñas|
Original Manila production
All Out of Love received favorable reviews from theater critics. Robert Encila-Celdran of Broadway World commented on his review: "Surround that cast with an equally talented ensemble and a solid band, put them up on a fabulous multi-level set, provide them with a first-rate creative support, and you just might get away with a middling repertoire beloved by a multitude. And entertain the audience they did; the crowd came in droves to be affirmed, and we know them to be a big part of the journey." Fred Hawson of ABS-CBN commented that "The story is admittedly unremarkable and unoriginal, even corny and cliche at several points. But overall, the show was still very entertaining because of the karaoke familiarity of the songs (you will have to stop yourself from singing along) and the show-stopping performances of the triple-threat Filipino cast." Nikki Francisco of Theater Fans Manila gave an unfavorable review of the musical, commenting that "It’s a simple premise featuring cheesy dialogue that might have been hilarious, but the assembled cast weren’t all that funny, least of all Manalang, who would later make up for it by showing she can sing like nobody’s business in two solo numbers."
Awards and Nominations
|2018||Aliw Awards||Best Actress (musical)||Tanya Manalang||Won|
- Gans, Andrew (February 28, 2018). "All Out of Love, New Air Supply Musical, Will Debut in Manila". Playbill. Retrieved October 24, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Photo Flash: First Look At The Air Supply Musical ALL OUT OF LOVE in Manila". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. October 19, 2018. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Katigbak, Fran (June 23, 2018). "All Out of Love: Here it is, an Air Supply jukebox musical!". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved October 24, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- de Guzman, Nickky F. P. (October 24, 2018). "Simple story, classic music in All Out of Love". BusinessWorld. Retrieved October 24, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Bautista, Charles Aames (October 25, 2018). "Tatler Review: All Out of Love The Musical". Philippine Tatler. Retrieved October 26, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "'All Out of Love' Extended until November 10". Theater Fans Manila. October 28, 2018. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- Hawson, Fred (October 23, 2018). "Theater review: You'd want to sing along while watching Air Supply musical". ABS-CBN. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- "Creative". All Out of Love: The Musical. Retrieved October 24, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Producers". All Out of Love: The Musical. Retrieved October 24, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Lo, Ricky (October 25, 2018). "Air Supply takes a bow with cast at gala show". The Philippine Star. Retrieved October 25, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Air Supply debuts new hit in All Out of Love the Musical". Manila Standard. September 25, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Review Roundup: Critics Weigh In On The Air Supply Musical ALL OUT OF LOVE in Manila". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. October 24, 2018. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- Encila-Celdran, Robert (October 22, 2018). "BWW Review: Superb Cast, Serviceable Script Mark The World Premiere of ALL OUT OF LOVE, The Musical". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- Francisco, Nikki (October 23, 2018). "REVIEW: All Out of Love is out of ideas". Theater Fans Manila. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- "Ailw Awards 2018s". MSN. December 18, 2018. Retrieved August 28, 2019.