This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
North of Glendale Boulevard, it starts off as a residential street. It becomes a major thoroughfare south of Glendale Boulevard. Directly south of Pico Boulevard and north of Venice Boulevard, Alvarado Street merges with Hoover Street. Alvarado Street is signed as State Route 2 from Glendale Boulevard to the Hollywood Freeway. Landmarks on the thoroughfare include the Saint Vincent Medical Center, the Metro station for the Red and Purple Lines at Wilshire Boulevard across from the adjacent MacArthur Park, and the Pico-Union Branch Library.
Langer's Delicatessen-Restaurant and El Pollo Loco's first United States restaurant are located on Alvarado Street, which is where it quickly became a local favorite. Edward's Steak House was originally located on this street. Also, the Peoples Temple's Los Angeles building was located at 1366 South Alvarado Street. The Romanesque Revival–style structure was designed by architect Elmer Grey in 1912 for the First Church of Christ, Scientist.
Metro Local line 200 operates on Alvarado Street. The Metro Shuttle 603 also operates on Alvarado Street going only southbound.
- William Bright; Erwin Gustav Gudde (30 November 1998). 1500 California place names: their origin and meaning. University of California Press. p. 15. ISBN 978-0-520-21271-8. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- Maps & Driving Directions, St. Vincent Medical Center
- The Legacy of El Pollo Loco Archived 2010-11-25 at the Wayback Machine, El Pollo Loco website
- Big Orange Landmarks page on the church
- Layers of History Pico Union, Los Angeles Conservancy, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alvarado Street.|