Andre Anderson (gridiron football)
|Born:||December 6, 1955|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Weight||259 lb (117 kg)|
|College||New Mexico State|
|High school||South Oak Cliff HS|
|NFL draft||1978 / Round: 9 / Pick: 246|
|Drafted by||Los Angeles Rams|
|1978||Los Angeles Rams*|
|1978||New York Jets*|
|*Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
Andre Deshon Anderson (born December 6, 1955) is a former professional gridiron football defensive lineman who played for the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. In 1978, he played four regular season games for the Lions. Anderson was selected in the ninth round of the 1978 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams. Prior to his professional career, Anderson played college football at New Mexico State University where he studied business administration.
Anderson attended high school at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas, Texas, where he played football as an offensive tackle and was a member of the track and field team. From 1974 to 1977, he played college football for the New Mexico State Aggies while studying business administration. As a freshman, Anderson started for the Aggies at offensive tackle. Prior to the 1975 season, Anderson was moved to the defense as a defensive tackle. He recovered two fumbles in a game against the Texas-Arlington Mavericks that year.
In September 1976, Anderson recovered three fumbles in a loss against the Lamar Cardinals. He was named to the United Press International (UPI) All-Valley Conference team as a junior. Prior to the 1977 season, Anderson was considered one of the best defensive lineman in his conference and was named to the All-Conference preseason team. The Aggies moved Anderson to left end and he immediately made significant contributions, accumulating three sacks in the first two games of the season. Despite missing the final two games of the season due to injury, Anderson received many accolades for his performance as a senior, including an honorable mention for the Associated Press (AP) All-America team, a spot on the All-Conference team, and an invitation to the East–West Shrine Game to play for the West team. He was the first Aggies player to be selected for the East–West game.
Anderson was selected in the ninth round of the 1978 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams with the 246th overall pick. In mid-August, the Rams traded Anderson to the New York Jets for a draft pick. The Jets released Anderson later that month.
After being cut by the Jets, Anderson signed with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. He played in four regular season games for the Lions as a defensive tackle in 1978, recording a single fumble recovery. Prior to the start of the 1979 season, he was placed on the injured list, and he did not return to the active roster that season. Anderson's contract expired in April 1980 and he was not re-signed.
- Hamilton, Matt (July 24, 1977). "Matt At Bat". Clovis News-Journal. Clovis, New Mexico. p. 13. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- "Aggies Sign 16 Prep Players". Hobbs Daily News-Sun. Hobbs, New Mexico. AP. March 7, 1974. p. 6. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Abrahamson, Gene (March 24, 1974). "Roosevelt, Lewisville win Relays". Grand Prairie Daily News. Grand Prairie, Texas. p. 15. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Top Praise Given Ag Freshmen". Las Cruces Sun-News. Las Cruces, New Mexico. October 3, 1974. p. 11. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Aggie Gridders Hope To Finish With Bang". Albuquerque Journal. Albuquerque, New Mexico. May 1, 1975. p. 57. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- McGinn, Randi (October 26, 1975). "Ringer Leads Aggies Past Texas-Arlington, 16–0". Albuquerque Journal. Albuquerque, New Mexico. p. 61. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Muench, Joe (September 26, 1976). "Mediocre Lamar Stumbles By Aggies". Las Cruces Sun-News. Las Cruces, New Mexico. p. 15. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "All-Valley". The Raleigh Register. Beckley, West Virginia. December 17, 1976. p. 22. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "All-MVC Team Lists 5 From WT". The Amarillo Globe-Times. Amarillo, Texas. August 10, 1977. p. 14. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Muench, Joe (September 9, 1977). "Ags Primed, Pepped For Arkansas Hogs". Las Cruces Sun-News. Las Cruces, New Mexico. p. 13. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Muench, Joe (September 16, 1977). "First Place In Valley On Line Saturday". Las Cruces Sun-News. Las Cruces, New Mexico. p. 8. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Muench, Joe (November 18, 1977). "Auld Lang Syne Game Saturday". Las Cruces Sun-News. Las Cruces, New Mexico. p. 17. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "Anderson Makes All-Star Game". Albuquerque Journal. Albuquerque, New Mexico. December 11, 1977. p. 83. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Maher, Tod; Gill, Bob (2013). The Canadian Pro Football Encyclopedia: Every Player, Coach and Game, 1946–2012. Maher Sports Media. p. 145. ISBN 978-0-9835136-6-7.
- "Transactions". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Santa Cruz, California. Associated Press. August 17, 1978. p. 30. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "Sports Deals". The Daily News. Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. August 31, 1978. p. 5. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "Tiger-Cats trade for Rowland, release veteran running back". The Globe and Mail. July 7, 1979.
- "Eleven players in CFL become free agents". The Globe and Mail. April 2, 1980.