|Member of the New York State Assembly|
from the 12th district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2003
|Preceded by||John J. Flanagan|
|Born||May 8, 1968|
Huntington, New York
|Residence||East Northport, New York|
|Alma mater||State University of New York at New Paltz (B.A.)|
Andrew P. Raia (born May 8, 1968) represents the 12th district in the New York State Assembly, which comprises parts of the towns of Huntington, Babylon and Islip on Long Island. A Republican, Raia was first elected in 2002.
Raia was born and raised in Huntington, New York. He holds a bachelor's degree in political science from the State University of New York at New Paltz, from which he graduated in 1991. Prior to his election, he was a member of legislative offices in both houses of the New York state legislature, as well as the Suffolk County Legislature.
In 2002, Assemblyman John J. Flanagan announced he would run for the New York State Senate, leaving his district open. Raia soon after announced that he would run for the seat. Competitive on paper, Democrats were favored with their candidate, Mark Cuthbertson. However Raia took the seat that fall 50% to 47%. Since then, he has never faced a competitive reelection, and ran unopposed in 2012 and 2014.
- "State Assembly: Andrew P. Raia (R-C-I), District 12". Capitol Info. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- "Voters Guide: Andrew Raia". Newsday.com. November 2, 2010. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
Raia, 42, was born and raised in the Town of Huntington. He lives in East Northport...
- "Elections 2010: Andrew Raia". Long Island Press. October 29, 2010. Archived from the original on November 9, 2010. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
Raia, 42, ...
- "Andrew P. Raia: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- Observer, State University of New York alumni newsletter, Volume XXIV, No. 3, p. 29.
- Toy, Vivian S. (November 10, 2002). "Democrats Chalk Up Hard-Fought Victories". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "Our Campaigns - NY Assembly 09 Race - Nov 05, 2002". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate - Andrew P. Raia". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
|New York Assembly|
John J. Flanagan
| New York State Assembly, 12th District
|This article about a member of the New York State Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|